VMware Cloud Community
wesiman
Contributor
Contributor

vCloud Administrator password changed after Power failure

All,

Last week our lab suffered a power outage which took down all of our vCloud Infrastructure. Since then, I have been unable to login to the Director. It is claiming that the username/password are incorrect. I can login to the Cloud Cell still, but somehow the Web login has changed. Is there a way to reset it? Is there a set of log files which will contain information for how the password may have changed? I also have seen issues where user rights within their organization have changed to the minimal level which I have also not done.

Any help would be HIGHLY appreciated.

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
wesiman
Contributor
Contributor

Here is the logfile output. Clearly the Administrator password I have tried is incorrect, however, I did not change it. Not sure how it was changed and there are no other references in any of the log files to it ever having been changed. What is strange is that I see a call to "com.vmware.vcloud.api.presentation.service.InitialConfigService.needsInitialConfiguration()". Is this expected?

2011-06-12 18:06:52,775 | DEBUG    | pool-jetty-18             | AuthorizationMethodInterceptor | Authorizing method: public abstract com.vmware.vcloud.api.presentation.entity.system.BrandingSettings com.vmware.vcloud.api.presentation.service.SystemService.getBrandingSettings(). |
2011-06-12 18:06:52,775 | DEBUG    | pool-jetty-18             | AuthorizationMethodInterceptor | Authorizing method: public abstract com.vmware.vcloud.api.presentation.entity.system.UberAdminSettings com.vmware.vcloud.api.presentation.service.SystemService.getUberAdminSettings(). |
2011-06-12 18:06:52,792 | DEBUG    | pool-jetty-18             | AuthorizationMethodInterceptor | Authorizing method: public abstract boolean com.vmware.vcloud.api.presentation.service.SystemService.getAllowAutomaticallyLogin() throws com.vmware.vcloud.api.presentation.service.PresentationException. |
2011-06-12 18:06:52,827 | DEBUG    | pool-jetty-18             | AuthorizationMethodInterceptor | Authorizing method: public abstract boolean com.vmware.vcloud.api.presentation.service.InitialConfigService.needsInitialConfiguration(). |
2011-06-12 18:06:52,896 | ERROR    | pool-jetty-18             | AuthenticationFilter           | authentication failed |
com.vmware.ssdc.library.exceptions.LoginTokenException: "Invalid login token.  Login with username and password."
        at com.vmware.ssdc.backend.LoginToken.renewToken(LoginToken.java:132)
        at com.vmware.ssdc.backend.CSecurityManager.renewLoginToken(CSecurityManager.java:452)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
        at org.springframework.osgi.service.importer.support.internal.aop.ServiceInvoker.doInvoke(ServiceInvoker.java:64)
        at org.springframework.osgi.service.importer.support.internal.aop.ServiceInvoker.invoke(ServiceInvoker.java:78)
        at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:171)
        at org.springframework.aop.support.DelegatingIntroductionInterceptor.doProceed(DelegatingIntroductionInterceptor.java:131)
        at org.springframework.aop.support.DelegatingIntroductionInterceptor.invoke(DelegatingIntroductionInterceptor.java:119)
        at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:171)
        at org.springframework.osgi.service.util.internal.aop.ServiceTCCLInterceptor.invokeUnprivileged(ServiceTCCLInterceptor.java:57)
        at org.springframework.osgi.service.util.internal.aop.ServiceTCCLInterceptor.invoke(ServiceTCCLInterceptor.java:40)
        at org.springframework.osgi.service.importer.support.LocalBundleContextAdvice.invoke(LocalBundleContextAdvice.java:59)
        at org.springframework.aop.support.DelegatingIntroductionInterceptor.doProceed(DelegatingIntroductionInterceptor.java:131)
        at org.springframework.aop.support.DelegatingIntroductionInterceptor.invoke(DelegatingIntroductionInterceptor.java:119)
        at org.springframework.aop.framework.JdkDynamicAopProxy.invoke(JdkDynamicAopProxy.java:204)
        at $Proxy292.renewLoginToken(Unknown Source)
        at com.vmware.vcloud.web.AuthenticationFilter.processRequest(AuthenticationFilter.java:245)
        at com.vmware.vcloud.web.AuthenticationFilter.access$300(AuthenticationFilter.java:65)
        at com.vmware.vcloud.web.AuthenticationFilter$1.run(AuthenticationFilter.java:130)
        at com.vmware.vcloud.web.AuthenticationFilter$1.run(AuthenticationFilter.java:121)
        at com.vmware.vcloud.common.threadpool.ThreadContextExecutor.execute(ThreadContextExecutor.java:46)
        at com.vmware.vcloud.web.AuthenticationFilter.doFilterHttp(AuthenticationFilter.java:145)
        at org.springframework.security.ui.SpringSecurityFilter.doFilter(SpringSecurityFilter.java:53)
        at org.springframework.security.util.FilterChainProxy$VirtualFilterChain.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java:390)
        at com.vmware.vcloud.security.filters.SizeValidationFilter.doFilterHttp(SizeValidationFilter.java:29)
        at org.springframework.security.ui.SpringSecurityFilter.doFilter(SpringSecurityFilter.java:53)
        at org.springframework.security.util.FilterChainProxy$VirtualFilterChain.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java:390)
        at org.springframework.security.util.FilterChainProxy.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java:175)
        at org.springframework.web.filter.DelegatingFilterProxy.invokeDelegate(DelegatingFilterProxy.java:236)
        at org.springframework.web.filter.DelegatingFilterProxy.doFilter(DelegatingFilterProxy.java:167)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1115)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(ServletHandler.java:361)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:216)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.SessionHandler.handle(SessionHandler.java:181)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.handle(ContextHandler.java:766)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.handle(WebAppContext.java:417)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandlerCollection.java:230)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:114)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:152)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.handle(Server.java:324)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:534)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.content(HttpConnection.java:879)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:741)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:213)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:403)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.bio.SocketConnector$Connection.run(SocketConnector.java:228)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.security.SslSocketConnector$SslConnection.run(SslSocketConnector.java:636)
        at org.mortbay.thread.BoundedThreadPool$PoolThread.run(BoundedThreadPool.java:451)

Message was edited by: wesiman - Adding extra info from vcloud-container-debug.log.

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

The needsInitialConfiguration is just a check to see if vcloud is pre-configured according to the database (the initial wizard you would see at login).

LoginTokenException is like you are using the "remember username/password".  It's based on the time since last login, but it should just kick you back to the login screen for vCloud.

Can you provide the cell.log and vcloud-container-debug.log as an attachment to your post?

Thanks,

Jon Hemming

wesiman
Contributor
Contributor

Logs attached.

0 Kudos
wesiman
Contributor
Contributor

Can anyone tell me how the password is stored in the database? i.e. what oracle mechanism is used for encrypting the password? I'm now resorting to changing the password in the dB, but I can't determine which encryption scheme is used to generated the encrypted password I see in the db. Without this, I can't successfully change teh password.

If I can't recover my administrator password, am I out of luck? Is there anything else I can do? Somehow create another user?

If I need to reinstall my vCD, is there a way I can import the old settings?

Also, is there a configuration script anywhere in which I can reconfigure the vCD accounts?

0 Kudos
wesiman
Contributor
Contributor

I have spoken to both vCD Engineering/QA and Support and they claim that there is no way to recover if you do not have a secondary Administrator account. So, I would highly recommend creating a secondary Admin user.

However, I was able to figure this out, and was able to recover my Administrator password. The answer isn't pretty, and involved changing the password in the database.

Long story short, create a second admin account and ensure that you know your passwords!!!!

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

thanks for sharing, appreciate it ..

0 Kudos