VMware Cloud Community
davelogan
Contributor
Contributor

unable to install non-critical patches to a host (vSphere7)

Hello 

This is my first post on this VMTN forum so apologies if this is in the wrong place.

I need some advice please.

I’ve tried installing the updates for a host in the cluster but the non-critical host patches baseline still says non-compliant. There are 7 updates with the status of missing:

davelogan_0-1626094190376.png

With the exception of the second one they all appear to be the same thing (intel-nvme: intel NVME driver with VMD Technology) but different versions.

No matter how many time I stage and remediate them (with the host in maintenance mode) it wont do it. its installed other non critical patches with out issue.

Is it that its trying to install different versions of the same thing? I found some information about how to add or remove a patch from a base line, but I don’t think ive got access to do that and don’t want to change a base line if its going to effect every host with that base line attached.

My understanding is that it should have installed the latest patch then marked the others as obsoleted?

I hope this makes sense, I'm quite new to VMware as you can probably tell!

thank you in advance.

David

0 Kudos
15 Replies
TheSleepyAdmin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi David 

Do you see any error when running the remediation or does it just complete.

You could check the update log on one of the esxi host to see if there are any errors. You can enabled the ssh service on the host and either use ssh to connect and view the log on the host itself or use something like winscp to copy the log off the host. The log should be located under /var/log/esxupdate.log.

0 Kudos
davelogan
Contributor
Contributor

hiya, thanks for the reply,

No, no errors the remediation process seems to complete ok. I have looked at the log file as you suggested and cant see any errors but I could be missing something.

I have attached the log file just in case

0 Kudos
TheSleepyAdmin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi David 

Had a quick look at the log file and all I can see is that each of the VIBS are being added but then after each add there is a debug saying that the VIB is being replaced and removed.

DEBUG: VIBs {'INT_bootbank_intel-nvme-vmd_2.6.1.1001-1OEM.700.1.0.15843807'} replacing VIB INT_bootbank_iavmd_2.7.0.1157-1OEM.700.1.0.15843807, removing them from ImageProfile (Updated) ESXi-7.0U1c-17325551-standard

I haven't seen this issue before, might need to open a support case or someone else might have seen this error before. 

davelogan
Contributor
Contributor

Hiya,

Thank you for looking, very much obliged. Ill open a support case for it, and post any solution I can find here for future ref.

thanks

David

0 Kudos
TheSleepyAdmin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Grand sorry wasn't of more help but if support come back with a fix would be interesting to see what the issue was. 

ClareMcN
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Dave, I have a similar issue and wondered if you got a solution - thanks

0 Kudos
davelogan
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

In the end, after discussing with my colleague, we detached the baseline as it was just non critical patches that didnt apply to our hardware.

Sorry that's probably not a lot of help to you.

0 Kudos
WuGeDe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I got the problem here:

Updates / host patches do not install - VMware Technology Network VMTN

I smell VMware cluster**bleep**up again.
I shure will open a ticket.

davelogan
Contributor
Contributor

thank you for sharing I will keep an eye on your other post, I would be interested to know what it was.

0 Kudos
MMTC
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same issue with these Intel patches.

0 Kudos
tserreyn
Contributor
Contributor

ditto here.  No solution to date.

0 Kudos
WuGeDe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@MMTC @tserreyn 
Have a look at my topic regarding the issue. 
https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-vSphere-Discussions/Updates-host-patches-do-not-install/td-...

You can install the patch that is the latest version manually and then you are fine.

Or as @Doubletap wrote it should be possible to install that patch/ that patches creating a single patch baseline for that patch and apply that baseline to the hosts.

Nevertheless I would have expected the patches autoinstalled by the vcsa.

0 Kudos
mmustain
Contributor
Contributor

I found this to still be a problem with vSphere 7 update 3. If you install 7u3 before installing the Intel 2.6.1 driver then the custom baseline with the single driver trick no longer works. No issues using the same trick on 7u2d though. Anyone else experience the same thing?

smathews_ndep
Contributor
Contributor

Yes @mmustain, experiencing the same issue after the vsphere 7 update 3 upgrade. Any luck resolving?

mmustain
Contributor
Contributor

Not yet. Just discovered the issue today. Came back here hoping someone has a solution involving 7u3.