VMware Cloud Community
slavonac
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

cannot vMotion virtual machine

HI

I have cluster with 3 hosts and they are all identical with same model name same memory and same processor type. When i try to migrate one virtual machine to another 2 hosts it gives following error

The target host does not support the virtual machine's current hardware requirements. Use a cluster with Enhanced vMotion Compatibility (EVC) enabled to create a uniform set of CPU features across the cluster, or use per-VM EVC for a consistent set of CPU features for a virtual machine and allow the virtual machine to be moved to a host capable of supporting that set of CPU features. See KB article 1003212 for cluster EVC information. MDS_NO is not supported. RSBA_NO is not supported. IBRS_ALL is not supported. RDCL_NO is not supported.

Only this particular machine is giving problem every other machine can be migrated without issues. VMware suggests EVC but we have 3 identical hosts that are in cluster so no need for EVC

0 Kudos
5 Replies
educert200
Contributor
Contributor

please verify VM doesn't have any raw dependencies like RDM , USB , pci devices  on esxi host  

sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

MDS_NO is not supported. RSBA_NO is not supported. IBRS_ALL is not supported. RDCL_NO is not supported.

These are all CPU flags, are you sure the hosts are exactly the same cpus. Its also possible if you updated one of the hosts but not the other the cpu microcode could have changed

Regardless , you have to turn it off to vmotion it, and then turn it back on the target host. Then it should be able to vmotion back and forth, you just get this if you start a host on a vm that has cpu instructions that the other hosts don't have access to.

0 Kudos
kastlr
Expert
Expert

Hi,

those features do require Servers with Cascade Lake CPUs, I assume that your current nodes do full fill those requirement.

Perform the following checks on each of your server using a ssh Session.

vsish -e cat /hardware/cpu/cpuModelName
vsish -e cat /hardware/cpu/cpuList/0 | grep -i -E 'family|model|stepping|microcode|revision'

Additionally you should also check the Server BIOS Settings as some of the CPU features might be disabled there.

Hope this helps a bit.
Greetings from Germany. (CEST)
0 Kudos
maksym007
Expert
Expert

Never seen such issues previously, 

Have you opened a case to VMware Support? 

0 Kudos
slavonac
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

yes this was resolved updated tools and then shutdown server power it on on another host and this machine can be now moved across in cluster

0 Kudos