VMware Cloud Community
Steph04
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware vCenter Server 6.7 Update 3s and Photon OS build number

Hi everyone,

Can someone confirm that the build number doesn't change on Vcenter 6.7 after an update?

I updated my VCenter 6.7 with 3s update and when I check the version with the command cat  /etc/photon-release I get the following result:

VMWare Photon Linux 1.0

PHOTON_BUILD_NUMBER=62c543d

However, since vCenter version 6.7 U3 the Photon OS kernel is 4.4.182, according to the VMware documentation:

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Sachchidanand
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Kernel version is different from the photon OS version. What you are able to see using cat /etc/photon-release is the operating system version, not the kernel version. To check the kernel version run the following command:

uname -r

Regards,

Sachchidanand

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Shen88
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

@Steph04,

As per my understanding the upgrade process and the changes in the Photon OS kernel version and build number may vary depending on the specific version of vCenter Server you are upgrading from and to. It is recommended to refer to the official VMware documentation for detailed instructions and specific version compatibility information.

If you think your queries have been answered, Mark this response as "Correct" or "Helpful" and consider giving kudos to appreciate!

Regards,
Shen
0 Kudos
Sachchidanand
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Kernel version is different from the photon OS version. What you are able to see using cat /etc/photon-release is the operating system version, not the kernel version. To check the kernel version run the following command:

uname -r

Regards,

Sachchidanand

Steph04
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you, I misunderstood the documentation. Indeed, I confused the kernel version with that of the operating system. 

With your explanation, I realized my mistake.

I ran the command uname, the results are below:

• uname -r : 4.4.302-2.ph1
  • uname -a : Linux vcenter-server 4.4.302-2.ph1 #1-photon SMP Sun Mar 27 02:58:11 UTC 2022 x86_64 GNU/Linux

0 Kudos