VMware Cloud Community
Enter123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

RHEL 9 custom specs - no IP assigned

Hi,

I am trying to deploy a RHEL 9 VM from a VM template using vRA 8.16. I have been using vSphere custom specs for RHEL 8, no issues there. But for RHEL 9 the cloned VM template doesnt get IP or OS renamed. I found this KB article Article Detail (vmware.com) but this didn't work. Has someone seen similar problem and found a fix? 

thanks,

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vikaschuchra
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey, I had a similar issue for a week and able to resolve it. In my case RHEL9 linux system was able to get the hostname however not the IP. used below high level steps.

1. Installed the cloud-init

yum install cloud-init

systemctl enable cloud-init

reboot

2. After this my system was able to get the IP assigned as per DNS binding from VRA, now we have further ansible workflows which would run to further customise the OS per Organisation standard.

Once the Ansible workflow started, we have a step to configure the IP through network-scripts,  the IP binded in the step-1 during template clone, once this is configured

I disabled the network config part of cloud-init by adding the ansible task as below

-------------------

- name: Disbale cloud-init network config
template:
src: network.cfg
dest: /etc/cloud/cloud.cfg.d/network.cfg
when: ansible_distribution_major_version == "9"
-------------------
where network.cfg is

------------------
#cat network.cfg
network:
config: disabled
------------------

and this helped to resolve this issue, hope this helps!!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Enter123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

it looks like cloud-init package was missing!

0 Kudos
Enter123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This saga is not over yet. My linux colleagues are still struggeling. A VM get IP and loses it later. Does anyone have RHEL9 successfully deployed via VM template and using vSphere custom specs?

0 Kudos
vikaschuchra
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey, I had a similar issue for a week and able to resolve it. In my case RHEL9 linux system was able to get the hostname however not the IP. used below high level steps.

1. Installed the cloud-init

yum install cloud-init

systemctl enable cloud-init

reboot

2. After this my system was able to get the IP assigned as per DNS binding from VRA, now we have further ansible workflows which would run to further customise the OS per Organisation standard.

Once the Ansible workflow started, we have a step to configure the IP through network-scripts,  the IP binded in the step-1 during template clone, once this is configured

I disabled the network config part of cloud-init by adding the ansible task as below

-------------------

- name: Disbale cloud-init network config
template:
src: network.cfg
dest: /etc/cloud/cloud.cfg.d/network.cfg
when: ansible_distribution_major_version == "9"
-------------------
where network.cfg is

------------------
#cat network.cfg
network:
config: disabled
------------------

and this helped to resolve this issue, hope this helps!!