VMware Cloud Community
susenj
Contributor
Contributor

Password expiry alarms don't heal by themselves

Hi Experts,

I am using vSphere Client to access a vCenter. The root user password got expired a few days ago and a critical alarm got triggered that I could see in the alarm section.

As an administrator, I took action to reset the password and I was expecting that the alarm would be gone away by itself. However, it didn't happen and I had to manually reset it to green.

I have some queries in this context, please let me know if any other information is required:

1. Did this happen because vCenter Server didn't retrieve the event that identifies the normal condition(password reset in this case)?
  2. Is it expected for such alarms not to heal by themselves? If so, is it documented anywhere? In other words, where can we see what all types of alarms need a manual reset?
  3. Is there a probability of a bug somewhere that didn't let the alarm go green by itself?

Thanks,
susenj

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RajeevVCP4
Expert
Expert

A I know without acknowledge alarm would not go away

Rajeev Chauhan
VCIX-DCV6.5/VSAN/VXRAIL
Please mark help full or correct if my answer is use full for you
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
susenj
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply. May I know if it is documented somewhere? How do we get to know what(type of) alarms need to be explicitly acknowledged?

and once acknowledged - it will go away automatically once the alarm condition is set to false. Is this a correct assumption?

0 Kudos
RajeevVCP4
Expert
Expert

I used this docs

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/com.vmware.vsphere.monitoring.doc/GUID-2A9C547B-9D33-4...

Rajeev Chauhan
VCIX-DCV6.5/VSAN/VXRAIL
Please mark help full or correct if my answer is use full for you
0 Kudos
susenj
Contributor
Contributor

The document you shared doesn't talk about the self-healing of alarms. So, regardless of whether an alarm gets acknowledged or not, it will continue to exist in the system unless manually reset to green. 

My original query was related to this document : https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/com.vmware.vsphere.monitoring.doc/GUID-9C1BE067-9CB5-4... 

and I quote:

An alarm triggered by an event might not reset to a normal state if vCenter Server does not retrieve the event that identifies the normal condition. In such cases, reset the alarm manually in the vSphere Client to return it to a normal state.
Does user's password expiry clear event fall under such category where vCenter Server can't identify the normal condition?
0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

Not all vSphere Alarms will automatically reset themselves, it just depends on how they were setup (whether its system alarms that shipped with vCenter Server or if it was user created). You can easily see which alarms will automatically reset by simply looking at the alarm definition. If there's an alarm rule that moves it back into "green" state, then it means it'll reset and if you don't see that it, means users must manually reset the alarm.