VMware Cloud Community
jorge_c
Contributor
Contributor

OVA deployment - "Transfer failed: The OVF descriptor is not available"

Hello,

I am having a problem when trying to deploy an OVA file. The message "Transfer failed: The OVF descriptor is not available" is displayed. Any suggestions? Much appreciated.

47 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

First suggestion is to provide much more information. What version of vCenter? What client are you using? What OVA are you using?

0 Kudos
jorge_c
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Daphnissov,

Thank you for suggestions. Here is the information.

VMware vCenter Server Appliance 6.5

Server: VMware ESXi, 6.0.0

I am using the webclient

Regarding the OVA, I tried multiple OVAs, and all of them have the same problem.

Regards,

Jorge

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Usually I've seen this caused by the download being corrupted, so check to make sure the ones you're trying are all good downloads. May need to reference the MD5 if available. If you're on U1, check this and make sure the fix is applied, although the symptom is different:  OVF deployment fails after upgrading to vCenter Server Appliance 6.5 U1 (2151085) | VMware KB

0 Kudos
jorge_c
Contributor
Contributor

daphnissovI have re-downloaded and checked the MD5. Regarding U1, I am not sure where to check that. I apologize, but I am a beginner in VMware. I will research though. Any suggestion is welcome.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

What is the build of your vCenter?

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
jorge_c
Contributor
Contributor

The build is of the vCenter is 5973321. The version is 6.5.0

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

So it's Update 1. You need to apply that fix in the KB I referenced.

0 Kudos
jorge_c
Contributor
Contributor

Daphnissov:

Thank you. If I follow you correctly, I will apply the corrections on:

https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=21510...

Regards.

0 Kudos
jorge_c
Contributor
Contributor

I followed the directions of the link:

https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=21510...

However, the file ts-config.properties.rpmnew is not in the system I am working with (this file is referred to in the above link).

Attached is a screenshot of the two files I have in the directory indicated in the link.

0 Kudos
StoreThomas
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Just adding my two bits as I was having the same problem running vcenter 6.5 U1.

Couldn't fint the rpmnew files either so I just restarted the content-library service (service-control --stop vmware-content-library;service-control --start vmware-content-library) without making any other changes and that solved my problem, hope it helps you too.

Best

Thomas

avinsh
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi

Just adding my bits here.

I was facing same error message with chrome browser..I switched to firefox and installation was fine.

jorge_c
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you, Thomas.

0 Kudos
jorge_c
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks!

0 Kudos
MikeOD
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I found this thread when searching for a solution for the same issue when trying to deploy VROps.  Based on the comments in the thread, I tried using IE (I had been using Chrome).  The OVA deployed OK.

0 Kudos
toomasm
Contributor
Contributor

For me the the solution was to deploy ova to esx6.5. I tried first deploying from vSphere 6.5 web client to host running esx 5.5 and it failed with this error. Changing  the host resolved the issue.

0 Kudos
abhishekkunal51
Contributor
Contributor

>> I am also facing same issue on

pastedImage_1.png

>> And when I tried to follow the KB I am unable to find rpmnew file:

pastedImage_2.png

>> I am using this environment for NSX deployment where the initial step is to deploy the controller from NSX Manager---> VC -----> ESXi.

pastedImage_4.png

pastedImage_6.png

>> I have updated all my ESXi to 6.5

pastedImage_3.png

>> Restarted the content-library still the issue ...

0 Kudos
Sasha_G
Contributor
Contributor

I've got exact same versions and resolved same issue by opening console via proper FQDN that's been given to vcenter during setup. You need to install the cert then and all will work.

FYI: if you run this in Flash version, it'll give you a bit more info and exact URL to open for which you have to install the certificate.

RussellFaraday
Contributor
Contributor

Hmm.  Me too. 

Downloaded the VDP appliance ova multiple different times.  Didn't help.

Different browsers didn't help.

Fiddled around with ovftool, but that never could make a good ova again.

What did finally work is on the VMware downloads page, don't click the regular download link "Download Now" but instead use the smaller link "Download Manager".  This fires up a special downloader web page.  The appliance ova I got by doing that worked first time, no problems.

I guess I really was getting mangled ovas when using the regular link.

Cheers!

0 Kudos
shvedalexey
Contributor
Contributor

Try it on Firefox 56 - it helped me. On all other versions of Firefox, Chrome and IE there was the same error as you.

0 Kudos