VMware Cloud Community
ccvme
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

New servers, how do you install the vCSA before you've added hosts to a cluster??

So I have 3 new hosts and shared storage. If I install the vCSA on one of the hosts when I try to add the hosts to a cluster it tells me I can't add a host with a VM running. How do you get around this to do the initial install of vCSA in a brand new environment.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Vijay2027
Expert
Expert

Please share error screenshot..VC and ESXi versions. 

0 Kudos
ccvme
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vSphere 6.5, vCenter 6.7

When hosts are added to a cluster they are put into maintenance mode so you can't have a virtual machine running on the host. If I create a data center I can add hosts with running VMs but if you try and add hosts to a cluster you get a warning that the hosts have a running VM and they will be put into maintenance mode.

Just wondering how you're supposed to setup vCenter on your new hosts and then add those hosts to a cluster given the restrictions.

Based on what I've been reading it sounds like this was something added in vCenter 6.7 and that people have gotten around the restriction by putting the hosts into a data center and then dragging and dropping them to the cluster. I believe you also have to disable DRS, HA and EVC.

From VMware's article on adding hosts to a cluster:

Results

All hosts are placed in maintenance mode and added to your cluster. You can manually exit the maintenance mode.

0 Kudos
MikeStoica
Expert
Expert

I don't have a cluster where to try now, but you can create the cluster without enabling HA and DRS and without adding hosts to the cluster. Then you can manually drag and drop the hosts to the cluster.

0 Kudos