VMware Cloud Community
Simo74
Contributor
Contributor

Lost everything in vCenter inventory and permissions denied (Both normal client and web client). Can only see one VM

Hi all,

please excuse my ignorance and incompetence on the subject but I'm kind of in a huge hole and hope someone can help.

I inherited an IT setup where we have VMWare EXSi.

There's a physical windows 2012 R2 server on which vCenter and vSphere Client are installed.

All was fine up until today, when we decided to do some windows updates (security ones mainly) on this server..
We also updated time sync on the primary domain controller as it was off and then all other servers on the network synchronized with this one.

We then rebooted the machine with vCenter and now I can't see anything except the cluster and one VM in it.

I can't see hosts, data stores, nothing. Only one VM is still there.

If I right click on the Cluster all options are grayed out and I get a message "You do not have permissions to access this object" on the right pane.

If I go into Administration -> vCenter Server settings I get 'You do not hold priviledge "System > Read" on folder "Datacenters" and in the error stack "

Call "PropertyCollector.RetrieveContents" for object "propertyCollector" on vCenter Server "XXX" failed.(I replaced the host name with XXX)

In Administration -> Licensing I get "You do not have privileges to view this page"

Sounds to me like permission issues but I have NO IDEA how to fix this and being a complete novice I'm lost.

If I connect directly to the EXSi hosts (we have 2) using the vSphere client, I can at least see the VMs.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Simo74
Contributor
Contributor

Never mind.
I logged in with the domain admin account and all worked.

I was given the wrong credentials in the documentation: a user 'Admin' which would login fine but didn't have permissions to see anything basically.

0 Kudos
EricChigoz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Great to know you are out of the hole safe.

Always take backups before applying updates on production servers.

Thank you

Find this helpful? Please award points. Thank you !
0 Kudos
Simo74
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks 🙂

Yes backups.

A pain sometimes but always a must.

0 Kudos