VMware Cloud Community
annthtooaung
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Log file size is too huge

Hi there,

Recently, I've just found out that my vCenter log file size was too big which is around ~500MB per day. Is it normal or if not, how do I reduce vCenter log file size.

Thanks

Labels (1)
  • Hi

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Sachchidanand
Expert
Expert

Can you please specifiy which file you are talking about? 

Regards,

Sachchidanand

0 Kudos
annthtooaung
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

annthtooaung_0-1694504239253.png

This log file, 'vcenter.log'

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Did you already check the mentioned log file's contents?

André

0 Kudos
annthtooaung
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, I've checked

0 Kudos
Ajay1988
Expert
Expert

I don't recall any such file(vcenter.log) by default on VC ? Can u share the complete path of that file and share screenshot of all files under it.
Do you have any other 3rd party applications in use talking to VC ? 

If you think your queries have been answered
Mark this response as "Correct" or "Helpful".

Regards,
AJ
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
annthtooaung
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, I've use third party log server for vCenter. In log server, all logs from vCenter is stored on that server which is called 'vcenter.log'. I've noticed that previous vCenter logs file size is not huge as much as this vCenter 7.0

0 Kudos
Sachchidanand
Expert
Expert

I have checked and not found any such file on vCenter. As you are using third party log server, now only the difference in the content can be the cause of this size. You have check or compare what content you were getting earlier and what you are getting now.

Regards,

Sachchidanand 

Kinnison
Commander
Commander

Hello,

Just out of curiosity, if I may ask, what product is that "third party log server for vCenter".

Regards,
Ferdinando

0 Kudos
annthtooaung
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I used Hinemos for third party

0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

Hello,

Understood, if I were in your place I would hear what the manufacturer of that product had to say.

I confess that I do not understand, it is certainly my limitation, the purpose of accumulating (somehow duplicating) the LOGs that a vCenter object already generates on its own in another different file.

Regards,
Ferdinando

0 Kudos
schikhaldekar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi @annthtooaung ,

My recommendation is to check compatibility of Hinemos with vCenter 7. Much of the architecture has changed of vCenter 7 comparing to vCenter 6.x.

If you have previous version of vCenter with external PSC, Then it makes sense to have small size vcenter.log file as it is not running PSC related services and hence size would be smaller.

With vCenter 7.x, If you have converged your external PSC to embedded then size of the file would be larger than before. Just a thought.

As @Kinnison  mentioned, do check with vendor on what they say about this behavior.

0 Kudos