VMware Cloud Community
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

Image Based Host Upgrades are missing with no specific error in the vSphere Client

I recently encountered something odd after upgrading vCenter and wanted to ask if others have seen the same.

I went to check the Upgrades tab on the Cluster object in vCenter, and the Hardware Compatibility and Image options were absent.  Even the upgrade option on the vCenter object gave an error state about not using Baselines/VUM based upgrades.  I haven't been using that since Images became an option in 7.0.x in this lab kit.

What I did notice is that the Management Interface was giving a 504 error state and likely at least 1 service had crashed in the background.

Logged into ssh on the VCSA and ran service-control --start --all

A few of the services took time to get up and running.  Once this was done and I logged out/in to the vSphere web client, things were back to normal.

I'm going to continue to monitor the situation in case it happens again, but wanted to share this in case others see something similar.

• VMware vCenter 8.0.0 Build: 21216066
    • Deployed as Tiny 2vCPU + 14GB memory
  • VMware ESXi 8.0.0 Build 21203435
    • 3 hosts with 13 VMs
0 Kudos
2 Replies
NathanDaggett
Contributor
Contributor

I have same situation

5 vCenters in ELM

100+ hosts

Support fixed an issue with vCenter repl. SSO issues - now no img update option.

0 Kudos
NathanDaggett
Contributor
Contributor

• Take proper snapshots of the environment. (if the VC is member of Enhanced linked mode, please take powered off snapshots from all nodes).
  • Navigate to Administration -> Single Sign On -> Users and Groups
  • Select Groups and search for SystemConfiguration.Administrators
  • Select Add Members
  • Search and select Administrators
  • Then click save.
  • Log out and log back in.

--