VMware Cloud Community
MrJazze
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Commit/Consolidate Multiple Large Snapshot Chain

Help Community,

I have a major problem where Veeam Backup & Replication has generated several lingering snapshots on large [2TB - 5TB] Windows file servers. I'm seeking to get your feedback on options to commit/consolidate these snapshots with minimal impact on 24/7 production cycle.

I had read somewhere that storage vmotion is an option. 

BTW: Does anyone know with a certainty the order snapshots are committed when using "Delete All" button?

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
mannharry
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hello 

If we choose option delete all , then snapshots are committed in the same manner they are taken .

You could power off the VM and do if possible .

If not , you can use the below option and validate the PID , CID matching between the snapshot chain , this can assure you that chain is intact and thus delete all should be successful although slow .

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1007969

Regards

Harry

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

In order to be able to give you an advice, some additional details are required.

Depending on the number and size of the snapshots, the base virtual disk's provisioning type (thin/thick), and the free disk space on the datastore, it may be possible to delete the snapshots without downtime. A file listing of the VM's folder/files (ls -lisa), and the datastore's free disk space (df -h) will be helpful.

In addition to this, please verify that none of the VM's .vmdk files is still accessed/mounted by the backup server, or one of its proxies!

André

0 Kudos
MrJazze
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@a_p_ 

One of the VMs has 8 snapshots, base disk is thin provisioned, all file chain are listed (numbered). I will verify there are no locks by Veeam. Another VM has hit the limit of 32 snapshots and again thin provision, chain available, check locks.

0 Kudos