VMware Communities
jrprofessional
Contributor
Contributor

workstation 7.0 - trying to recover memory image from a suspended vm

i have a vm(Vista64) running on Workstation 7.0

i was working on the VM, and put it in a suspended state.  shortly after i had a host system(Dell/Windows 7) freeze requiring a reboot of the host machine.

after the host system restart, the VM would not power up and i got the message:  Your virtual machine did not resume because of an error. If you believe the error is correctable and you want to preserve the suspended state so you can correct the error after the virtual machine is powered off, select Preserve. To discard the suspended state, select Discard

I hit Preserve, saved all of the vmdk/vmss/vmx/vmem/nvrm/log files.

I can restart the VM and recover the vmdk/ data files.   I am trying now (somewhat ambitiously I know) to recover the lost memory state.

i tried copying the saved vmss and vmem files over another suspended state with no success.

i found out about the vmss2core utility but it failed (both with vmss and vmem file) with the below error:

vmss2core Unrecognized .vmss file (magic f000ff53)

Anybody know what my next options might be from here?

Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

My best guess is that your quest is unsolvable, let me explain why I come to that conclusion.

Your host freezed up shortly after you put the VM in suspended state and the VM refused to resume afterwards.

You even tell us that vmss2core can't read the files.

To me that is an indicator that your host was still writing to those files when your host locked up.

In other words, the files you are trying to use to recover the memory state of the VM are corrupt.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos