VMware Communities
kerm007
Contributor
Contributor

vmware workstation 7 msi serial info

Hi there is there a way to install vmware workstation 7 from the msi and have serial include in the msi as long as the compagny name ?

and also have the eula disable so at reboot it will not apear

Thanks

0 Kudos
20 Replies
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

use the /? when using the run command line to navigate to the installer (exe)... THere you will see the options, including how to specify a configuration file. I've attached a screen shot of the results, in case you have difficulty getting it on your system...

0 Kudos
kerm007
Contributor
Contributor

thansk for that but i want to run the msi with info already include cause im trying to install vmware from a gpo

and if you know also how to disable the check for update it will be very helpfull

Thanks

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

From appdeploy's site...

extract the package :

VMware-workstation-full-7.0.0-203739.exe

/extract "<Folder Name>"

Then install via MSI :

Msiexec

/i "vmware workstation.msi" /qn REBOOT=REALLYSUPPRESS ADDLOCAL=ALL

DESKTOPSHORTCUT=1 SERIALNUMBER=XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

0 Kudos
kerm007
Contributor
Contributor

i can't enter this info when i deploy the msi from a gpo

what i want is to have the info inside the msi is it feasable ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

Can't see if happening without using an answer parameters. Unless you have a ton of licenses, and keep an uber tight leash on the policy, I wouldn't recommend that method for deployment. Much better off using any one of the software distribution methods out there and have it use the answer file. That is, if you're looking to automate it and deploy it to a large number of systems or possibly with some being remote.

With the answer file, I would be able to use LANDesk to push the install to any system in inventory (that's online at the time). You could ue the GPO to point to a batch file, which in turn performs the commands to install it with the answer parameters. That would be a single file to execute to make it happen.

0 Kudos
kerm007
Contributor
Contributor

do you know where i can have this answer file ? for vmware workstation 7

it's a mst file right ?

Thnaks

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

Actually, it looks like you can do it with the commands inside the batch file. I just extracted the contents of the downloaded exe installer and see the "vmware workstation.msi" file there. I would place the contents of the folder you extract the installs into up onto a share that you know the target systems will be able to reach (an unc share for instance). Then run the batch file via GPO, or whatever method you have on hand.

If you want to get really slick, you could also try leveraging PowerShell to help drive the install...

Using a batch file also means you shouldn't need the msiexe command in there. Just have the batch file navigate to the share where the MSI (and the rest of the install files are) and run the command as listed...

0 Kudos
kerm007
Contributor
Contributor

Not really

but i what to be able to run the install of vmware on all pc arround out compagny but need some setting to be disable liek the check for update and the compagny name and serial populated

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

th eeasiest way to do thta IMHO is to install normally and then update preferences.ini for each account

preferences.ini has the settings you need to modify

VMX-parameters- Workstation FAQ -[ MOA-liveCD|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

How many installs are you talking about?

0 Kudos
kerm007
Contributor
Contributor

to do that on all pc (60) and by the way i didn't see the ini file you telling me

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

From a command window, navigate to the directory that contains the vmware-workstation-full-7,x.exe file...

enter in the command: VMware-workstation-full.xxxxxxxx /extract "new directory name in the same directory as the exe file"

It will tke it a few moments to fully extract the files into the new directory it creates.

Once that's done, you should be able to make the batch file with the paramaters for installing. This includes the pre-entered product key, the reboot supression, etc. Since you want to refill the product key, this is really the only option I've been able to discover. I don't see any answer type files within the directory that gets created when you extract the exe file. I've also not seen a reference on if you can create one and what to name it.

Since you purchased 60 licenses for the workstation product, I would imagine that someone at VMware's support center would be willing to help you with automating the installation if this method doesn't work out. I would recommend trying it this way first though. I'd also suggest doing it during off hours so that you can address any glitches that might come up in your environment. If possible, do it to a spare system that no one is really using at the time to ensure this doesn't become a RGE for you.

BTW, there is no .ini file mentioned...

0 Kudos
kerm007
Contributor
Contributor

hey hey

im doing my test on a close setup for now with replica of my dc file server where the msi is and only client ...so no problem with that

Thanks for every thing

0 Kudos
kerm007
Contributor
Contributor

the bad thing is im not using sms to achaive this only GPO

Smiley Happy

Thanks

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

OUCH!!

You can get some additional switches information if you perform a /? on

the vmware workstation.msi file that you've extracted. I just did it and

it gave me more information than doing it on the original exe file

You might want to get the pstools from the Microsoft web site (part of the systernals tools too) since that would allow you to remote execute files on those systems. You could push a batch file to the targets, and use that to execute it through either the GPO or a direct command. Using the pstools you can do a lot via the command window on your system.

I've never used the SMS product. I've always had access to LANDesk Management Suite for software installs. With that, I can either reference an answer file, or enter in commands to pass along to the installation file as needed...

A great resource to pull on is the appdeploy web site (www.appdeploy.com) since a lot of people post up information about tons of installers. It will also point you to published tools, if available, to help automate installations.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

I made some notes on the settings you can configure in preferences.ini - most of those can NOT be manipulated with the msi

http://sanbarrow.com/vmx/vmx-preferences-ini.html

VMX-parameters- Workstation FAQ -[ MOA-liveCD|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
kerm007
Contributor
Contributor

is there a way to make the old version of vmware is forced to uninstall before install the new version ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

the old version always will be uninstalled first ... ? - so I don't think you need to enforce that ... or am missing something ?

0 Kudos
kerm007
Contributor
Contributor

well when i run the version 7.0.1 setup it ask me to remove it first in the add remove program

Thansk

0 Kudos