VMware Communities
alex5956
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vmware workstation 17.x Pro freeze with kali linux

hello ,

i've a problem with my vmware workstation 17.x , kali linux freeze sometimes , why ?

the processor is sometimes 100% not only, I have an i7 8750h , and 32 gb of ram that are not 100%. I use 4 cores and 2 threads per core, I suspected the fact that I used the intellij suites which was not well configured but I do not believe that tonight since everything is blocked.

why could i do

Cordially

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
fpoirier
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It will as the licence should cover 17.x if it's not under support.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
eucrates
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Downgrading seems  have helped with the freezing so far.  Thanks!

View solution in original post

10 Replies
eucrates
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm having a similar issue with kali, it started when I upgraded to 17.5 around 10/20/2023.  My ubuntu vm doesn't seem to freeze.  I've downgraded the hardware compatibility and tried installing a fresh vm from the kali website.  Sometimes I'll get 5 minutes, sometimes I'll get 15 or more, but eventually it freezes. 

I don't know what data to collect and post here to help diagnose things.  My host is Windows 11, I've tried following the instructions here https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-client/application-management/virtualization-... without luck.

I tried to downgrade to 17.0.2 but the Workstation installer wouldn't allow me to.

eucrates_0-1698191708456.png

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Can't help with the freezing part, but if you want to "downgrade" your Workstation, you must uninstall the existing version first, then install the older version (might need a reboot in between).

alex5956
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok thanks you  very much, i will try

Cordially

0 Kudos
fpoirier
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had the same issue in Kali with 17.0.5. It was happenning to me when a key is pressed for too long. eg: hit shift and hold to select text in tmux.

You can downgrade hardware compatilibility before you uninstall the current version and install 17.0.2.

fpoirier_0-1698242639299.png

Since I rolled back, no more issue.

eucrates
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks.  Will I my license still work?

0 Kudos
fpoirier
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It will as the licence should cover 17.x if it's not under support.

0 Kudos
eucrates
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Downgrading seems  have helped with the freezing so far.  Thanks!

alex5956
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I got in touch with support ,  to encourage them to update 

Cordially

0 Kudos
maestrov
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Greetings,
I faced the same problem running Kali Linux on Workstation Pro I have rtx3050 i712th so it was weird, I did search but i didn't find any solution, I have solved the problem by disabling Memory integrity security from Microsoft as you can see it's a very rare security option, but I guess it prevents some process from running even in gaming i faced same problems until i disabled it, So here you  go with the Solution, but Be careful Because its definitely dangerous if you don't have an Active Antivirus Legit software.
and yes you don't need to downgrade or reinstall.
Thank you VMware.

steps:
1: settings
2: Privacy & Security
3: Windows Security
4: Open Windows Seurity
5: Core isolation More deatils
6: Turn it off
7: Restart Your PC

0 Kudos
alex5956
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

i've still the problem , the support don't care about, maybe it's cause to the kernel !they close all my tickets , for the moment I’m not satisfied , beccause i paid vmware workstation

Tags (1)
0 Kudos