VMware Communities
keftafrites
Contributor
Contributor

vmnet0 is missing VMware Workstation 17 Pro on Windows 11 Pro

Hi,

I cannot setup a bridged network on my VMs because vmnet0 is missing: no brdiged adapter; I tried the following without success:

- repair VMware installation

- Restore defaults of Virtual Network Editor

- Re-install with Windows Firewall and Defender disabled 

Please note that:

- the VMnet0 adapter is not present in local adapters list (whereas VMnet1 (Host-only) and VMnet8 (NAT) are availables)

- In Virtual Network Editor, VMNet0 is not displayed, whereas it is when I use Administrator privileges

- no VM bridge in windows services list

- VMbridge is available in registry

Please help !!

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

There is no VMnet0 adapter, it will never show up in the VNE. 

You need to ensure the "VMware Bridge Protocol" client is installed and enabled (checked) in each physical NIC's property page on the host.  The inf file should be in the Workstation folder.

keftafrites
Contributor
Contributor

I installed the netbridge.inf and I see the VMware Bridge Protocol ticked checkbox for all my NIC but still the same problem (no internet connection in my VM when using bridge adapter)

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

@keftafrites wrote:

I installed the netbridge.inf and I see the VMware Bridge Protocol ticked checkbox for all my NIC but still the same problem (no internet connection in my VM when using bridge adapter)

Technically, it's not the same problem any more.  You have solved the "Missing VMnet0 / Unable to select Bridged mode".  Now your issue is "Bridged mode not working / connecting".

0 Kudos
keftafrites
Contributor
Contributor

I don't know if the checkbox was present and ticked before the inf install or not...btw, what I've noticed I'm able to connect with bridge only when in virtual network editor, I bridge the VMnet0 to Hyper-V Virtual Ethernet Adapter; it doesn't work when I select the Wifi adapter (I'm connected to the internet using the Wifi adapter); any idea ?  

0 Kudos
DCasota
Expert
Expert

fyi

For VMnet0, assigning bridged to a physical WiFi adapter works flawlessly.

DCasota_0-1711721944601.png

Bridged to automatic works as well.

DCasota_1-1711722013757.png

Changing Hyperv settings (uninstall/reinstall WSL, uninstall/reinstall virtual ethernet adapters) and uninstall/reinstall/update drivers for physical network adapters may impact VMware Workstation Virtual Network settings, but that's as designed.

keftafrites
Contributor
Contributor

is there any logs somewhere I can check for understanding what is happening clearly ? As I said earlier, it is a Win11 Pro fresh new install, so no tweaks 

0 Kudos
DCasota
Expert
Expert

What's the issue? for windows networking issues, there are different places to start investigating.

- Interface information ipv6

Get-NetIPInterface -ConnectionState Connected -AddressFamily IPv6 | % { Get-NetIPAddress -AddressFamily IPv6 -InterfaceAlias $_.InterfaceAlias } | select InterfaceAlias , IPAddress , PrefixLength , @{ Name='IPv6DefaultGateway'; Expression={ ( $_ | Get-NetIPConfiguration ).IPv6DefaultGateway.Nexthop } } | Format-Table

netsh interface ipv6 show interfaces

- Interface information ipv4

Get-NetIPInterface -ConnectionState Connected -AddressFamily IPv4 | % { Get-NetIPAddress -AddressFamily IPv4 -InterfaceAlias $_.InterfaceAlias } | select InterfaceAlias , IPAddress , PrefixLength , @{ Name='IPv4DefaultGateway'; Expression={ ( $_ | Get-NetIPConfiguration ).IPv4DefaultGateway.Nexthop } } | Format-Table

netsh interface ipv4 show interfaces

- in VMware Workstation, Virtual Network Editor (click change settings to view the actual settings)

- Virtual Machine Settings

- vmware.log 

- event viewer

(- Provider system)

0 Kudos