VMware Communities
vm4776
Contributor
Contributor

unable to install VMware on Windows 8

I am unable to install either Workstation 8 or Workstation 9 on my WIndows 8 RTM (Technet).

It always get stuck on "now loading". I can't even get the installer to start.

vmware.png

0 Kudos
5 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Could you provide the logs?

All of the install logs live in %TEMP%. We are interested in all vm*.log files and the %WINDIR%\setupapi.log file.

In Windows 8 there are two setupapi logs. They are located in %WINDIR%/inf and are named:setupapi.app.log setupapi.dev.log

0 Kudos
AHSommer
Contributor
Contributor

Make sure you are running it with FULL admin rights.

Right click and select "Run as Administrator"

Also, see http://communities.vmware.com/thread/415417 if you have Hyper-V installed.

0 Kudos
kundil12
Contributor
Contributor

hi everyone

i have same problem on my win 8 enterprise 64bit

when i install the vmware workstation, appears an error window

i have attached the error capture

could you help me?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

kundil12 wrote:

i have same problem on my win 8 enterprise 64bit

when i install the vmware workstation, appears an error window

i have attached the error capture

First of all you don't necessarily have the same or actual problem although similar in that you haven't be able to install.  Secondly as suggested by Mingfeng20111… in the first reply of this thread (Re: unable to install VMware on Windows 8) supplying the logs might be more helpful then the information provided thus far.  If you do choose to provide the logs do not copy and paste the contents into a reply, rather compress all files into a single .zip file and attach the .zip archive file to a reply.

You might also want to validate the MD5/SHA1 checksum of the installer package before doing anything to ensure you do not have a corrupted installer package.  As an example, see Re: I get this error when trying to install vmware on windows 8 for additionally info reguarding checksum.  Additionally have a look at: Troubleshooting an MSI error during a VMware product or Tools installation

0 Kudos
kundil12
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for the reply

i have solved the problem

i have follow the inscturtion from this link http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&docTypeID=DT_KB_1_1&e...

i just clean the temp file and i run the installer again

thanks

0 Kudos