VMware Communities
chrullrich
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

"Single button for power controls" on toolbar disabled

Hello,

I recently noticed that the toolbar power button is disabled in Workstation 12.5.2, even though both the VM menu and the VM's context menu show the expected options, they are enabled, and they work. If I turn off the "single button" option, I get the expected enabled controls on the toolbar as well. No idea if this was the same in previous releases.

This is clearly a bug, in that the dropdown arrow for the single button is disabled along with the button itself as soon as the VM is powered on and the "power on" option becomes inapplicable. There is nothing about this in the release notes' known issues list. Does anyone have any information on whether (and when) this is going to be fixed?

Thanks,

--

Christian

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Now I can reproduce the issue with that option added in .vmx file. Although suspend is disabled, we should not disable the button group in toolbar. It seems like a bug. I will raise an internal bug to track the issue. Thanks for reporting the issue!

View solution in original post

5 Replies
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

It works well for me though. Can you share your host operating system and reproducing steps? Maybe attach a screenshot. Thanks!

0 Kudos
chrullrich
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Host is Windows 10 1607 (x64).

Steps to reproduce: 1. Power on virtual machine. 2. Note that the toolbar button cannot be used to shut it down again.

Screenshot below. The toolbar button, currently in "power on" mode, is disabled because the virtual machine is powered on. The drop-down arrow is disabled because of bug. The menu items for "shut down" and "restart" are enabled, as should be the respective aspects of the toolbar button, which are inaccessible without the drop-down button.

Capture.PNG

If I now turn the "single button" option off, I get this:

Capture.PNG

The shutdown and restart buttons are enabled, as expected.

Turning the "single button" option back on returns the toolbar to the previous state, with the button in the "power on" mode and both button and drop-down arrow disabled.

0 Kudos
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

This is indeed weird, because in my environment, the icon in toolbar is showing "Suspend guest" with enabled state. It looks like your menu "VM>Suspend Guest" is also disabled which is not expected. Anything special with your VM state?

0 Kudos
chrullrich
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, that VM is subject to a group policy that forces standby mode after too short a delay for my purposes, so it has

suspend.disabled = "TRUE"

in its .vmx to at least keep it from hibernating itself every time I miss the timeout. When I take the option out, the "suspend" button becomes active.

0 Kudos
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Now I can reproduce the issue with that option added in .vmx file. Although suspend is disabled, we should not disable the button group in toolbar. It seems like a bug. I will raise an internal bug to track the issue. Thanks for reporting the issue!