VMware Communities
gdalton
Contributor
Contributor

"Out of Memory" errors after Windows 10 Creators Update

Windows 8.1 guest on Windows 10 host will only run for a few minutes before getting memory error message.

Have had to hard reset host machine 3 times this evening when guest VM running in background.

Happens even when nothing running in guest OS.

Windows 10 host seems to run fine so far without VMware running.

106 Replies
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Which version of VMware Workstation are you running?  Older versions of Workstation Pro or Workstation Player are certainly prone to memory management problems when running on newer versions of Windows.

What's the exact wording of the error message you are receiving?  Is the error message coming from your Windows 10 host or the Windows 8.1 guest?

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
Hoehn
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem, WS 12.5.5 is installed; WS 12.5.5 re-installed - problem is still there

0 Kudos
gdalton
Contributor
Contributor

Latest Version on VMware: 12.5.5 build-5234757

OOM error happens on Windows 10 host when Win 8.1 guest running.

Also had to restore virtual network adapter settings to get bridging to work again for all VMs.

EDIT: 16gb RAM on host...4gb allocated to guest if that helps.

0 Kudos
itsmpro
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue here. I am tracking the counter "% Committed Bytes in Use" on the host, and it continually trends up, until the host OS cannot allocate additional virtual memory in the page file fast enough. The host has 16GB RAM, and the page file is managed by the system. However, I cannot find any vmware related process that is consuming significant portions of the committed bytes.For instance, vmware-vmx.exe has only 207,000K.

The guest machine (another Windows 10 instance still at Anniversary Update) is idle and is configured for 4GB. I have set the reserved memory to 8GB, and additional memory is set to allow some virtual machine memory to be swapped.

dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Could someone please post a screen snapshot of the error message?  Or, if the system is entirely unresponsive, a photo of the error message would do...  Or is it literally just "Out of Memory" and an OK/Close button and no other information at all?

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
itsmpro
Contributor
Contributor

The error I encountered was a "low virtual memory condition" notice, but I couldn't do anything about it before the host became non-responsive. As I said previously, the pagefile grows in response to the growing demand for virtual memory. The "% Committed Bytes in Use" grows over time as well, until eventually hitting almost 100%, and the pagefile hits the maximum system value. At this point the error occurs, and the system becomes non-responsive. The Event Log captures Event ID 2004 when this occurs.

Hoehn
Contributor
Contributor

if "Accelerate 3D graphics" is checked, i get the "Out of Memory" message; disabling "Accelerate 3D graphics" the host crashes after 15 - 20 minutes running vmware with a guest without any message (black screen).

Win 10 1703 as guest in Win 10 1607 as host - no problems.

16 GB Memory on host.

Back to win 10 1607.

itsmpro
Contributor
Contributor

I just rolled back to Win 10 v1607 as well. No issues with Workstation now.

slewantoski2005
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem. Workstation 12.5.5 on Windows 10 Creators update 1703.

Running any VM crashes the host after some time due to Out of Memory condition.

The host and guest just idling.

Host has 32GB of RAM, the VM has only 4GB but just uses up all available RAM.

Stopping the VM does not release the memory. The memory is only released closing VMware Workstation complete.

I get the attached error message (sorry, german System).

It states that java is using the most memory but it is not true. If closing java the message states any other background program.

After showing this message the system becomes unresponsive in the next 5-10 seconds.

IMG_20170408_113642.jpg

Best regards

0 Kudos
GevorgMel
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue. This error occurs only when vmware workstation 12.5.5 VPC is running on the host pc. I'm not sure if it is a Windows bug, because the issue doesn't happen if VPC is off. Does anyone have an update on this question, when it will be fixed by vmware support team.

Thanks

0 Kudos
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

When you say "VMware Workstation 12.5.5 VPC is running on the host pc", did you mean  "software of VMware Workstation 12.5.5 is running on the host pc"?

0 Kudos
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Can anyone please upload support bundle? Please attach a screenshot when "out of memory" error pops up (better in English :-)). This will help us identify the issue? Thank you all!

0 Kudos
itsmpro
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately, by the time the error appears it is too late to get a screen shot - it is only a warning, and so doesn't present itself in front of other running applications.

Upgrade a Windows 10 Pro host machine with Creators Update - you should be able to recreate the error condition quite easily. It appears from the other contributors that any running VM will begin to consume host virtual memory.

0 Kudos
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thank you for your response! Actually we tried internally but failed to reproduce the issue. So a support bundle would be very helpful for us.

0 Kudos
itsmpro
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately, I cannot provide any further information, as I had to roll my system back to Anniversary Update to regain system stability. I need VMware workstation to function properly for work.

0 Kudos
GevorgMel
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I have Vmware Workstation 12.5.5 installed on my PC, with system Windows 10 x64 1703. The issue occurs when I run any of virtual machines, and leave it running about one hour. For me, it is easy to reproduce the issue. The strange thing on this issue is the warning message box shows info not related to vmware. It shows names of others application you have running on your PC at the time when the message pops up. That is why the message can vary by different time. In my test, I'm getting this message for Microsoft Edge application, because I had video playing in youtube parallel. Later I'll provide more details with screenshot.

0 Kudos
reub
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

+1 here as well.  I am also running 12.5.5 - this is a very serious problem which renders VMware Workstation useless with Creators Update installed.  In my case I only need to run one VM in workstation for the problem to occur within 30 mins or so.

It is devastating to productivity to have both the VM and the host crash like this.  Try editing a document or doing some work..............

0 Kudos
l0stc0mpass
Contributor
Contributor

This is a very serious problem!

This problem is easy to reproduce on Windows 10 x64 1703. Vmware Workstation 12.5.5 running after a period of time, the host operating system prompts the system is out of memory and no response, I forced to restart my computer. This can be confirmed that the Vmware 12.5.5 is not compatible with Windows 10 x64 1703!!

bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello, everyone,

We realize that it is a serious issue. Because we cannot reproduce it locally, can anyone attach support bundle when the issue occurs by running Help>Support>Collect support data (have the running VM checked)? Thank you very much!

0 Kudos