VMware Communities
mbejaoui
Contributor
Contributor

not enough physical memory is available to power on this virtual machine with its configured setting

Hi guys,

I'm facing the shown below error when I try to start a VM (which is on an external HDD) with VMware Workstation 12 Player:

HDD free space = 1.1To

VM.vmdk size = 430 Go

VMware player release = 12.1.1-3770994

Memory for this virtual machine = 16092 MB

Hard Disk (SCSI) = 558.7 GB  > Current size = 410.8 GB

I did all the fixes described here: https://www.petri.com/fixing-enough-physical-memory-available-errors-vmware-workstation but no improvement Smiley Sad

Please, can someone help me to resolve this issue ?

Thanks in advance Smiley Wink

VM player error.png

0 Kudos
3 Replies
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

How much RAM does your host system have, and how much RAM is your virtual machine configured to use?  The problem is an apparent shortage of RAM, not hard disk space.

There might be useful information in the vmware.log file inside the virtual machine's folder.  If you don't mind sharing the log file, please attach it to a reply in this thread.  (Use the Attach button in the lower-right corner when composing a reply... Please don't copy-and-paste it.)

Thanks,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
mbejaoui
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Dariusd,

In fact, the  VM RAM value was too large for the prhysical RAM of my PC. I reduced it and now it works !

Thank you for you help Smiley Wink

Regards,

mbejaoui.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

With careful tweaking a 16 GB RAM VM should run on hosts with 6 GB or more RAM

0 Kudos