VMware Communities
lordrt
Contributor
Contributor

.msi failure when installing VMware 8 trial

Hello

I just downloaded the exe for vmware-workstation-full-8.0.0-471780 from the vmware website, however, when trying to install, upon installing packages, I get the following error message, with the OK button only, and it exits after clicking on the button:

The MSI 'C:\DOCUME~1\USERNAME\LOCALS~1\Temp\vmware_1317123397\vmware workstation.msi' failed.

Setup has detected that VMware Workstation is already installed on this machine. Please uninstall this product through the Control Panel and try again.

I had VMware 7 installed, but removed it before installing this one, and no VMware folder is present in Temp or in my Program Files folder, nor in Add/Remove Programs list on Windows XP.

Anyone can help me how to solve this and install vmware correctly? Now the version 7 as well is not installing, giving the same error as above.

0 Kudos
22 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Got the same problem - here I launched the setup from the commandline with

VMware-workstation-full-8.0.0-471780.exe /z  "action"="install"

and then the setup worked

lordrt
Contributor
Contributor

thanks it worked for me as well after using the commandline

0 Kudos
headgeek
Contributor
Contributor

Well it sort of worked. First I had to manually uninstall 7.1 before this would work. Next, when I ran with the override it installed but three packages still failed - Freebsdtools, Windowstools and PreWindows tools. I extracted the files from the VMWARE 8 trial and then ran just those three installers with the /z "action"="install" switch and the WindowsTools and the PreWindows tools worked. The FreeBSD still errored out but I don't care because I have no plans to use that.

So far Workstation 8 trial is pretty bumpy. 

pvillablanca
Contributor
Contributor

I did the next:

In a command prompt inside the vmware setup.exe dir :

write ...\setup.exe /clean

and then execute the setup.exe again from windows.

Use uninstall option in the wizard and the setup will run to the end.

0 Kudos
bling77
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I am a newbie using command line, it gave me the message 'VMware-workstation-full-8.0.1 -528992.exe /z "action="install" is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

I had tried the following all failed:

- clear %TEMP%

- Remove VMware key in registry and anything related to Vmware in registry

- Remove VMware program folder

Have been using VMWare Workstation 4.5, VMWare player 3 on Win 32, works great and now with Win 64 bit OS, first experience is really bad 😞

Hope someone can really helps...need to setup demo image asap.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Bernd_Nowak
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You need to open a CMD window. Next is to use CD to navigate into the directory where the vmware exe is located.

example cd C:\Users\myUserName\Downloads

If you need to change the drive letter just use 😧 or whatever drive letter is needed.

Next type in the first characters and use the TAB key to autocomplete. Add this

/z "action="install"

at the end and hit Return.

Should work.

0 Kudos
bling77
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Bernd,

Managed to run install from CMD but progress still stuck at this stage.

Best regards,

Benedict Lim

Regional Software Solutions Leader (South East Asia)

Ge Intelligent Platforms Asia Pacific Pte Ltd

No. 1Teban Garden Crescent Singapore 608919

DID: +65 6899 5130

M: +65 8168 7311

Email: benedict.lim@ge.com<mailto:benedict.lim@ge.com>

Confidentiality Notice:

This e-mail transmission (and/or the documents accompanying it) may contain information belonging to the sender which is confidential, privileged and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. The information is intended only for the use of the individual(s) or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail transmission in error, please immediately notify us by return e-mail or telephone to arrange for return of its contents including any documents.

0 Kudos
Bernd_Nowak
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Just a simple question: Have you applied the Microsoft Updates for your host as well as service pack 1 for Windows 7?

0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert

Perhaps  this is too simple but it has worked for me under Windows (I posted this before).  It you have the installer for 7.x (I guess you must) try to install  it again even if your aim is to install WS 8.  You should be presented  with a screen (very common forf most Windows apps) to allow you to modiy, reinstall or delete the program.  Choose delete.  If the uninstall doesn't work then you have try something else - editing t ting the registery etc etc.  However if the uninsatall is a sucess you simply   have to install the WS 8l as new progrfam. VMware of course "should" not recognize the prroduct is alrfeay installed and proceed with WS 8.  I other  words don't try to fight a very  flawed installer.  If you don't get the screen with 3 options you' ve already gone past the point this will work.  However your desciprtion of the probllem  appers to be that  this unfortunate   case doesn't exist..

Marty

0 Kudos
bling77
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Marty,

It got stucked at this stage.

Best regards,

Benedict Lim

Confidentiality Notice:

This e-mail transmission (and/or the documents accompanying it) may contain information belonging to the sender which is confidential, privileged and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. The information is intended only for the use of the individual(s) or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail transmission in error, please immediately notify us by return e-mail or telephone to arrange for return of its contents including any documents.

0 Kudos
bling77
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Bernd,

Not sure which one should I installed on my Dell M6600 laptop, can advice?

Best regards,

Benedict Lim

Confidentiality Notice:

0 Kudos
bling77
Contributor
Contributor

After a while, this message popped out.

Best regards,

Benedict Lim

Confidentiality Notice:

0 Kudos
Bernd_Nowak
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The Download Windows6.1-KB976932-x64.exe should be the one you need. Could find a problem with your hresult regarding an installation which also turned out to be a problem where not all updates had been applied.

With Windows 7 I tend to first install SP1 first and reboot.

Next start Windows Update and change "Windows Only" To "Windows and Other Microsoft Products" (I don't have an english Windows 7 here at the moment).

Next start the search function in Windows Update and restart when asked for. What I have noticed from machines prepared by trainies is that they don't check if really all updates have been applied after a reboot. There are several Microsoft Updates which will show up after the next reboot.

Good Luck Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert

I can't tell from the screenshot whether or not you are installing or uninstalling WS.  You should be uninstalling and choose the option remove WS.  If the uninstall completed successfully you should reboot (and also  run chkdsk from the  drive properties tools).  Then you can reinstall with same exe as you used to install in the first place

If it gets stuck after this I  have no more suggestions.  Try some of the other on this popular thread.

Just thought of this - the thread still shows kup as I scroll throught.

This thread is really old and   probably the  question is answered but I'll just add to the screenshot - open taskmanager and   see if the process is responding.  Since this  is a trail version  it's probably moot anyway  (trail times out in 30 days)  but  if  is   happening  again the taskmanager is one place to start.If the install is st ll running let  it proceed for  15 minutes or so and see if  it  quits responding or it could be  eating 100% of your omemory.   You could also make a dump file but I don't myself know how to interpret it - you may find a program to do that on the Internet. Not a solution of course but a  place to start

Message was edited by: mfelker

0 Kudos
bling77
Contributor
Contributor

Think I gonna be stucked………

Best regards,

Benedict Lim

Confidentiality Notice:

0 Kudos
Bernd_Nowak
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

That's bad. Not sure if this was caused by installing VMware but here's a thread with a little help inside: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/is/w7itprogeneral/thread/ed0ee4cd-0f5f-451e-937c-bf805181...

If you use services.msc there's a service called Windows Installer which should have a startup defined as manually. Try to start it. If you can start it you have a different problem but I would bet that you can't start this service. If you can't start this service you might take a look at the thread linked here.

Anyway please keep us informed.

0 Kudos
jdcharlton
Contributor
Contributor

I am not sure how you are configured to get ..\setup.exe /clean to work but I was unable to figure out a way to do that.  What did work is using the vmware installation exe:

VMware-workstation-full-8.0.2-591240.exe /clean

That then allowed me to rerun the installation without any options from windows explorer and it worked without any msi errors.

John

0 Kudos
bling77
Contributor
Contributor

Hi John,

Thanks for your assistance.

I had revert back to VMware Player for now.

Regards,

Benedict

0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert

Does player 4.0.2 install Windows 8??. Interesting if it did.

0 Kudos