VMware Communities
dimm0k
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

kernel 2.6.34 host and VMWare Workstation

I'm running Slackware 13.1, which comes with kernel 2.6.33.4 and VMWare Workstation installed fine with no issues. I recently compiled kernel 2.6.34 and it is up and running with no problems except VMWare Workstation keeps complaining about kernel headers for 2.6.34 being missing and not going any further. Anyone else having issues?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

After you upgraded/changed your kernel you need to recompile the VMware modules for that kernel. Therefore you need gcc, make and the header files of the running kernel.

Which Workstation version do you use?

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
dimm0k
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I understand that the VMWare modules need to be recompiled for a newly installed kernel and upon launching VMWare I am actually asked to do so. The problem is, it asks for the location of the kernel headers for kernel 2.6.34. I have pointed it to /usr/custom/src/linux-2.6.34 (where I untar'd the 2.6.34 kernel and compiled from), but no go as it keeps asking for the kernel headers.

I am using Workstation 7.1 build 261024 on Slackware64 13.1.

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

What is the exact message after you entered the path?

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

0 Kudos
dimm0k
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I do not have access to my machine right now, but here is an exact image of the message I am getting when asked to create the kernel modules. The only difference is that I am asked for 2.6.34 headers, while the image is for 2.6.33.4.

If I issue 'vmware-modconfig --console --install-all' in a console, I get:

gcc and kernel headers must be installed

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Do you really have exactly this kernel header files and gcc installed?

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

0 Kudos
dimm0k
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have gcc installed, otherwise I would not be able to compile 2.6.34. Are not the headers located where ever I untar'd the kernel.org tarball and compiled from? In my case it would be /usr/custom/src/linux-2.6.34... I have pointed it to this folder, but no go.

0 Kudos
dimm0k
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok, this was a little interesting. Yesterday when I attempted to start VMWare Workstation, a GUI would pop up telling me I needed to compile the kernel modules and then it would ask me to log in as root. After doing so it would complain about missing kernel headers for 2.6.34 and no matter what I put in it would not go any further. I remember pressing one of the buttons on the GUI, the "Refresh" button, and it would show nothing. Just now I decided to try that button again and this time it pointed to the /lib/modules/2.6.34/ and from there it proceeded to compile the necessary modules. Upon finishing I started VMWare Workstation again, but this time it gave a different message saying some kernel modules were missing and needed to be created. At this point I went to a console and issued 'vmware-modconfig --console --install-all' where it recompiled without a hitch and now I am back in business!

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

0 Kudos