VMware Communities
santoshdreams
Contributor
Contributor

internet is not working in virtual machines.

i have a usb internet data  card. in host machine its working very well. but in virtual machine it not runing internet..

host machine(windows 7) virtual network adptor (NAT) ip is 192.168.1.1

virtual windows 2003 ip is 192.168.1.2 DG 192.168.1.1(NAT adptor)

virtual windows XP ip is 192.168.1.3 DG 192.168.1.1(NAT adptor)

Plz help me..

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

For NAT the gateway as well as the DNS address is 192.168.x.2, so don't use this for a VM. For static addresses use 192.168.x.3...127.

André

0 Kudos
Scorpion99
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

try to make them as Bridge , you should have internet working.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Scorpion99 wrote: try to make them as Bridge , you should have internet working.

The OP states "i have a usb internet data  card" and this type of connection typically only serves one IP Address and that will be to the Host and the Virtual Machine will need to use NAT.  The problem was already pointed out by André in that the OP was using an address reserved for the NAT Router and informed the OP what block of addresses can be used for static assignment.

0 Kudos
Dougga
Contributor
Contributor

I seem to be having an identical problem.

There seems to be something wrong with VM Ware Fusion.

Networking is only partially functional.

My current State

[Windowss 7 VM]

Network Bridged - WAN firewall is configured to allow all http traffic from this machine's ip address without proxy.

What I'm seeing is networking is working.

DNS & Ping succeeds.

http fails.

[Linux VM]

Network NAT

DNA & Ping succeeds

HTTP succeeds

It's not clear at all what the problem is.

I've been attempting to sort this out.

I did find at least a partial fix.

I changed the connection type to NAT, reset the dhcp ip address via ipcofig /release then /renew.

It now seems to work.

Note: this is not the first time I did this.  It is the first time it has worked.

It's unclear what the problem is but it seems to be within the networking stack of VMWare Fusion.

This is a new problem as of August 2012.

[shrug]

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Dougga wrote: I seem to be having an identical problem.

Really, you have "usb internet data  card" on a Windows 7 Host and have misconfigured a Windows 2003 Virtual Machine and wrongly given it the NAT Gateway IP Address as its static IP Address! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos