VMware Communities
vasureddy619
Contributor
Contributor

help regarding com ports

So I have windows 7 Home Premium installed on a HCL Branded PC with a core 2 duo processor.  I have VMware Workstation 7 installed with a VM setup for Windows 98.  This was done in order to run some legacy software.  This software connects to devices via the serial port in order to receive data and send commands.  When trying to use this software however the serial report in the VM does not respond...no errors or anything.  I went to device manager of windows 98 and have seen two com ports COM1 and COM2 and one parallel port LPT1. Could anyone of you please help me to solve this issue as early as possible, please please tell me a solution for this

my email id is vasureddy619@gmail.com

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the VMware Communities forum.  Your post has been moved to the  VMware Workstation forum - http://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/desktop/workstation.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

could you please provide a screen shot of the serial port configuration page from the VM's settings (right click --> Settings...).

André

0 Kudos
vasureddy619
Contributor
Contributor

serial port snapshot.png

sir here is the image please tell me a solution for this please

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

To see how this works, I connected an old modem to my PC (Windows XP) and setup a Windows 98 SE VM to which I added a serial port. In the "Use physical serial port" drop down box, I selected the COM port to which my modem is connected. Once Windows 98 was running I installed Hyperterminal an created a connection (COM1: - 9600/8/N/1 - Hardware) and ran at&v which immediately returned the modem settings.

Maybe all you need to modify is to select the COM port in the VM's settings rather than using "Auto detect".

André

continuum
Immortal
Immortal

yes - as Andre alreadz mentioned do not use "autodetect"
it is also a good idea to disable "thinprint" if you want to use serial ports - if you dont know what thinprint is post your vmx-file

0 Kudos
vasureddy619
Contributor
Contributor

thank you very much for the reply my problem is solved i changed the IRQ settings and it worked, I am really thankful to you all.

and there is one more problem now

the receiving and transmissing data between the machine and pc is really slow through com ports

my software has a default setting that if the Rx/Tx from the pc to machine or vice-versa is more than the default timing the process will abort

actuall how the software works is that if i connect my machine to a  PC which is having WIN98  physically the communication is really speed and every tests are working fine from the software in time.

but if i run the software by connecting the machine to the PC which is having WIN98 virtually through VMWare the communication is slow and every tests are working fine from the software but not on time and some are getting aborted.

please tell a solution for this

once again thanks for you all in advance

0 Kudos
vasureddy619
Contributor
Contributor

please tell me a solution for my issue i am stuck at his .

please help me get out of this

thank you

0 Kudos
vasureddy619
Contributor
Contributor

dear sir / madam ,

please send me a reply i am eagerly waiting fro the solution

0 Kudos
vasureddy619
Contributor
Contributor