VMware Communities
fluke167
Contributor
Contributor

connection between 2vms on different computers

hi everybody,

Im having a problem with pinging my vms. I ve two vms installed on two different computers which are both connected to same router. so all the hosts and vms are in the 192.168.x.x network.

On each computer I have vmware workstation 6.5 installed. One workstations runs win xp sp 3, the other one centos 5.3 but each of the workstations has one or two vms running with centos 5.3. I can ping from the hosts to the vms, I can ping between the hosts as well as the router and I can ping between two vms on the same host but I CANT ping from the vm on host #1 to the vm on host #2. any firewall or virus programm is turned off. any ideas why this is not working? cos I need a connection between the different vms to test a cloud system. I ve googled it already but I cant find the reason why it is not working!!

thanks for help!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Welcoem to the forums!

Please post:

"ipconfig /all" form the one host and "ifconfig -a" from the other one. In addition post "ifconfig -a" from one guest of each host.

AWo
VCP / VMware vEXPERT 2009

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Due to lack of employees, human beings work here. - Treat them carefully, they are rare.=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
fluke167
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for the reply!

attached you find the config of the windows host and its linux guest. (sry Im having a german windows, hope the configuration is understandable tho)

0 Kudos
fluke167
Contributor
Contributor

and here comes the config of the linux host and its linux guest.

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

You've got:

WinHost LAN: 192.168.2.13

WinGuest bridged (LAN):192.168.4.128

LinuxHost LAN: 192.168.2.12

LinuxGuest (NAT/VMnet8????): 192.168.3.129

All using a netmask of 255.255.255.0

That doen't work.

While your hosts are configured correct (both are in the same IP subnet 192.168.2.0) the guests are in their own subnets (different from each guest and the host).

You need to put your guests in 192.168.2.0, as well.

In addition check if the linux guest is really bridged as this one has an IP address from the virtual VMnet8 network.

AWo

=Due to lack of employees, human beings work here. - Treat them carefully, they are rare.=

Edited by AWo

fluke167
Contributor
Contributor

thx for the answer!

both guests are using VMnet8 with NAT, I thougt that would work like this when the guests IP is 'natted' to the hosts IP. Im pretty new to VMware... but Im gonna check how to do the bridging function and ll do that on both hosts.

will try that now...

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

When the guests use NAT you can't ping them, as they are not visible from the outside (they are hidden behind the virtual NAT device).

Assumed you ping a NAT guest (IP 192.168.1.1) no host (physical or virtual) can find that host because it can't find that subnetwork (every IP subnetwork can only exist once). So if you ping the host IP (the host of the guest you want to ping) you get a response from the host.

If you want to access a guest using NAT you have to create a port forwarding rule. To access the guest you need to use the host IP address and the port rerouted to the guest. By looking at the port forwarding rule the receiving host knows that this packet with its own host IP address as the recipient is intendet for the guest.

AWo

fluke167
Contributor
Contributor

IT'S WORKING!!! thanks a lot for the help.

I didnt know too much about the bridging option but I checked the manual to find out how to configure it that way and that made it work.

0 Kudos