VMware Communities
gokufast
Contributor
Contributor

cant copy/paste from guest to host

i was searching trying to solve this problem but nothing, the problem is that i cant copy any file from the guest and paste in the host.

I try to uninstall the vmware tools and install it again and nothing, reinstall vmware tools and nothing.

it happens when i try to copy text or files, any text and any size/type of files.

but, when i try to copy any file/text from de host to the guest it copy in the VM.

it is a problem of my host? vmwaretools? vmware workstation?

Host: Windows 7 64bits

Guest 1: Windows 7 64bits

Guest 2: Windows XP.

94 Replies
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert

Hi Gokufast,

See if this helps

Go to edit settings of the VM > Options tab > Guest Isolation > Enable the Copy and paste option

Regards

a

Do remember to mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answer your query!
0 Kudos
gokufast
Contributor
Contributor

Both options are cheked.

0 Kudos
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert

What version and build of workstation is this?

Do remember to mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answer your query!
0 Kudos
gokufast
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Workstation 9.0.0 build-812388

0 Kudos
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert

Can you try logging in to the host as the system (local) administrator user and right click on the Workstation - run as administrator.

Also log into the guest OS as local administrator and see if that works?

0 Kudos
gokufast
Contributor
Contributor

i try that and same, the problem still there.

in my house i have the same version of the workstation and one VM is the same here and there, and in my house works normally.

0 Kudos
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert

Ya works normally on my environment as well. Could you do a clean boot disabling all non vmware and non microsoft services for both host and guest and check?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

0 Kudos
gokufast
Contributor
Contributor

i try that but same result, also i try to uninstall vmware worstation and same result.

0 Kudos
mess
Contributor
Contributor

Hi...

I'm having the same problem -- I've also tried the suggestions here, tried reinstalling VMTools too (since apparently it controls sync between host and guest)

Workstation 9.0.2 build-1031769

Host: Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit 6.1.7601, Service Pack 1

Different guests XP, Win 7, 2008r2 Server

As a developer this is a big problem for me -- sure would appreciate a fix or work-around if anyone knows ANYTHING...

0 Kudos
pavel-a
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have same problem on wks 9.0.1 intemittingly, with various Linux guests and rarely with windows guests.

Since this seems to be a frequent issue, can Vmware add more diagnostics (host side logs, messages) in the copy/paste path to help understand this?

If the instrumentation already exists, how to enable it?

- pa

0 Kudos
blackS4
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same exact problem and it's really a problem for me. VMware Workstation 9.0.2 build-1031769. Host is Win7 64bit as are the VMs. VMware tools installed on each VM, and copy/paste enabled on all of them. I can drag a file from the host into a VM, but not vice versa. I can't copy/paste between any of them. This sucks.

0 Kudos
Ayu_
Contributor
Contributor

I'm experiencing the same problem stated in the original post.

My confirguration = Host Windows 7 x64

= Guest Windows Server 2008 R2

= Both OS are with latest SP and are up-to-date with Windows updates.

= Workstation 9.

I have tried all solutions recommended above to no avail. Please help.

Smiley Sad

p.s The only comfort I got so far is knowing that I'm not alone in this boat. Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
bugtracker45
Contributor
Contributor

I wonder whether you all have the same problem:

If I power on a vm or load a snapshot with copy/paste/drag/drop DISABLED, then enabling it does NOT work UNLESS

I save a snapshot after I enabled and then reload the snapshot.

In other words, it seems that copy/paste/drag/drop only works when a snapshot is loaded where it is already enabled.

IF such an enabled snapshot is loaded, I can disable/enable as many times as I want to.

It seems WMware does somehow not initialise correctly the clipboard connection if the checkboxes are initially disabled.

VMware Workstation 9.0.2 host Windows 7 / 64

Guests Windows 7 / 32 and Windows XP

Can anyone confirm that behaviour ?

0 Kudos
mess
Contributor
Contributor

If I power on a vm or load a snapshot with copy/paste/drag/drop DISABLED, then enabling it does...

I (personally) have NEVER DISABLED copy/paste/drag/drop  -- it is always been enabled; so, no I can't confirm this behavior.  It is just sometimes it does not work and won't start working again until I reboot the host.  Then it may work 1 or 2 times and quit again...

0 Kudos
Kevin_Myers
Contributor
Contributor

I have had this problem with this version of vmware also on pretty much all guest OS's. Has anyone found a fix or a patch for it?

0 Kudos
sangklai
Contributor
Contributor

I have VMware 9.0.2 build-1031769, host Windows 8 and guest Windows XP sp3. The first time, I could not copy and paste from guest to host. The Guest Isolation setting is enable drag & drop and enable copy & paste. I closed the guest machine and closed VMware too. Restarted guest machine, now I could do both drag & drop and copy & paste. I think it is a bug.

0 Kudos
JimFoye
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem, and reported it separately before I saw this thread:

Re: Cannot copy/paste from guest to host.

Jim

0 Kudos
GordonOsborn
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Have the same problem with VM Workstation 8.

Copy / Paste was working then stopped. Re-instal of VM tools did not fix the problem.

Switching to an Administrator Login has fixed the problem but I don't knoe if this is a long term fix.

Not very convenient as I was deliberately testing functionality of software for a normal user.

0 Kudos
muddin
Contributor
Contributor

I have copied my vm from other machine. Copy from guest not working. Is there any solutions?

0 Kudos