VMware Communities
countedworm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

autostart linux vm on host OS boot

I want to allow a virtual machine to boot with my host operating system, which is windows 8.1. I have searched online and the tab which people are talking about under manage>options>startup/shutdown doesnt appear on my screen.

Im using vmware 11, any ideas?

Capture.PNG

Kindest.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vNEX
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

press F9 to switch to the Library then you will see under My Computer a Shared VMs tree right click on Shared VMs and in context menu

click on "Manage Autostart VMs" ...

Here you can select (through checkbox) which VMs will start with host.

See:

Bez názvu22.png

Bez názvu11.png

Hope it helps

_________________________________________________________________________________________ If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards, P.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
vNEX
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

see this KB:

VMware KB: Running VMware Workstation as a server with shared virtual machines

AutoStart

You can use the new AutoStart feature to configure shared virtual machines to start with the host system. You can also configure AutoStart for shared virtual machines on remote hosts running Workstation and ESX 4.x and later. To access the AutoStart feature:

1. Right-click Shared VMs/Server Name/IP Address.
  2. Select Manage AutoStart VMs.

First you have to configure and Enable VM Sharing feature in Workstation preferences:

Configure Virtual Machine Sharing and Remote Access

_________________________________________________________________________________________ If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards, P.
0 Kudos
countedworm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thank you for the response but where is the

"Right-click Shared VMs/Server Name/IP Address."

I cant find it to right click it

0 Kudos
vNEX
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

press F9 to switch to the Library then you will see under My Computer a Shared VMs tree right click on Shared VMs and in context menu

click on "Manage Autostart VMs" ...

Here you can select (through checkbox) which VMs will start with host.

See:

Bez názvu22.png

Bez názvu11.png

Hope it helps

0 Kudos
countedworm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Oh of course, I'd set that tab to hide! thank you

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

countedworm wrote: thank you for the response but where is the

"Right-click Shared VMs/Server Name/IP Address."

I cant find it to right click it

Had you bothered to watch the video in VMware KB: Running VMware Workstation as a server with shared virtual machines which was provided to you in the first reply in this thread you wouldn't have had to ask! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos