VMware Communities
cw2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Write file size limit hgfs shared folder - Windows host Linux guest

I'm running an Oracle 6.2 32-bit linux guest under a Windows XP host.  I have a shared folder setup between the Windows host and Linux guest.  The Windows host can store large files (NTFS).  I find that whilst I can read large files (4Gb+) from the shared folder in Linux I can't write large files.  Not checked the exact figure, but I can't write a 2Gb file although I can write a smaller file so the basic shared folder functionality is there and working ok.  It comes back with the error that there's not enough free space if I try a large file.

e.g. I can loop mount a 4Gb DVD .iso file in the shared folder in Linux and see the contents but I can't write that file to the shared folder from the client.

This seems to be a limitation of VMWare tools (I'm using VMwareTools-8.6.5-621624 on the client).

Can't find any documentation on this limit - just a few other people who've had the same problem.

Anybody know if this is a documented limit and if there's a workaround?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

cw2 wrote: Anybody know if this is a documented limit and if there's a workaround?

I normally do not use the VMware Shared Folders feature (just to many issues over the years) and instead use Industry Standard SMB/CIFS Shares, as I'm in a Industry Standard Networked Environment anyway, and suggest it as a workaround in your case if the VMware Shared Folders feature isn't providing you the performance you need/want.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

cw2 wrote: Anybody know if this is a documented limit and if there's a workaround?

I normally do not use the VMware Shared Folders feature (just to many issues over the years) and instead use Industry Standard SMB/CIFS Shares, as I'm in a Industry Standard Networked Environment anyway, and suggest it as a workaround in your case if the VMware Shared Folders feature isn't providing you the performance you need/want.

0 Kudos
cw2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yep, that worked ok for the larger files that I've tested.

Share folder on windows client, limit to 1 user.

Mount shared folder via cifs on minimal linux guest (or any other linux VM on network)

Share out shared folder from linux box via samba (more control over who can do what)

Job doneSmiley Happy

0 Kudos