VMware Communities
LaurentJ75012
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

[Workstation11] Video settings max resolution ?

Hello,

What is the max screen resolution of virtual machines in VMWare Workstation 11 ?

What about the multiscreen management ?

What about NVidia SLI (Surround mode) compatibility ?

Thanks,

Laurent

0 Kudos
6 Replies
rachelsunsm
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi, the resolution of virtual machine is depend on the settings you select:

settings->Display->Monitors:

a. if you select "Use host setting for monitors", then the max resolution will depend on your host resolution. for example my host monitor is a 4k monitor, it can reach 3840x2160.

b. if you select: specify monitor settings. the max resolution will be 2560x1600

Thanks

0 Kudos
rachelsunsm
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

for the third question, copy the answer from dev team:

I don't believe we do anything special to work with SLI, although I don't know what default level of support it has for normal desktop applications.  (I suspect we would behave like any other normal, non-game application.)

--Michael Banack

0 Kudos
LaurentJ75012
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The problem is not SLI, the problem is max screen resolution.

When you use the surround mode, your screens are considered as one screen.

Max resolution with VMWare Workstation 8,9, 10.0.0 was the max resolution of the screen.

You changed something and now there is this limit.

VMWare workstation is open source, could you tell me where I can find the source of the VGA Driver and I'll try to fix it.

Thanks,

Laurent

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

rachelsunsm wrote:

Hi, the resolution of virtual machine is depend on the settings you select:

settings->Display->Monitors:

a. if you select "Use host setting for monitors", then the max resolution will depend on your host resolution. for example my host monitor is a 4k monitor, it can reach 3840x2160.

b. if you select: specify monitor settings. the max resolution will be 2560x1600

Thanks

Hi rachelsunsm,

He needs higher as that, see also his earlier post here: [VMW10] 5760 x 1080 Resolution under Windows 7 VM but Windows 8.1

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
LaurentJ75012
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My feeling is VMWare limit the screen size in the last WS10 update to increase WS11 upgrade sales.

Because it was working before...

0 Kudos
rachelsunsm
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

there dis have such bug in Hw11 for workstation 11. developer didn't fix that yet.

maybe you can try to download the hw to 10 if you really want to use higher resolution.

this issue for winxp guest, will be fixed on WS11.1

But the issue for win7+ guest still not fix.

Thanks,

Rachel

0 Kudos