VMware Communities
j_friedrich
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation cloning and retaining the machine ID on a different machine?

Hi,

I just installed vmware workstation for windows on 2 different machines.  I am just testing the clone function.  So, I basically 'cloned' the first machine and opened it up on the second machine.  The machine ID changed?  Any thoughts on how to retain the same machine ID?  Just new to this and testing...

Thanks for everyone's help!

Jason

0 Kudos
10 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The cloning function will create a new identity (UUID and MAC address) for the clone to ensure uniqueness. If you want to keep the VM's the same, you need to copy the VM's files and either add uuid.action = "keep" to the VM's configuration (.vmx) file or answer the question whether you copied or moved the VM with "I moved it" (see http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1541) when you power on the copied VM for the first time.

André

0 Kudos
j_friedrich
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response....Workstation 10 offers me the option to open a new virtual machine - which is the cloned machine from another box.  Nothing about copy / moved it?

Suggestions?

Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The question will pop up once you power on the VM for the first time.

André

0 Kudos
j_friedrich
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I added the change uuid.action = "keep" to the vmx file.  Still nogo on the other machine.  Different ID.  Here is the link I followed as I have a similar situation...

Re: Using the same Windows SID on multiple virtual machines?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
j_friedrich
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I basically copied the full clone directory to the other pc and turned it on...

0 Kudos
j_friedrich
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

So, this is what I noticed on the vmx file.  The 2nd PC running the clone added variables to the uuid.bios and uuid.location.  The original cloned vmx file had these empty and, as mentioned, I added the uuid.action="keep"?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Why would you want to keep the same uuid?

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
j_friedrich
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Simply, because I have old software that relies on a Machine ID.  As the main box is getting old, unless we can duplicate it, we are out of luck to rerun the software based on the initial Windows ID generated code.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

There are many different ID:s that could be used in the software, if its the SID the its not changed during a cloning operation.

You need to run sysprep/newsid on a clone to change that.

Do you know exactly what ID its using and how its querying it?

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
j_friedrich
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Unfortunately, I don't know how it's doing it's query....It could be cpu id, disk id, I don't know.  The old machine has an amd cpu in it and the new test box has an intel cpu in it.  I don't know if it's a cpu id query or a hard disk query?

Suggestions?

Thanks again.

0 Kudos