VMware Communities
hwshaw
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation Pro with Windows 2000 Touch screen issue.

We have an old machine running Window 2000. The process the PC monitors is mature and we don't want to update the OS and supported software. The PC hardware is however ageing and spares is an issue.

The address this I visualised the the PC and using VMWare Workstation Pro Ver.16 mounted this on a new touch screen all in one industrial PC. To note the previous install had a touch screen too. In an industrial environment keyboards and mice are rare due to dust etc.

The issue is the PC powers up and testing with a keyboard and mouse works flawlessly. However when I use the touch screen it seems to need two taps. So if I try to enter text. I would touch the "X" (as an example) on the onscreen keyboard and nothing will happen, the next time I enter "X" it works. If I then enter "Y" an "X" is entered. So Its like there is a delay in input. Its always one input behind. In addition in full screen mode when you touch the screen the banner the VM menu drops down even if its set as exclusive. 

It looks like the primary input is being referenced back to the host and touching the screen first selects the client and the second input the interface on the client. 

I have removed all the legacy drivers for the previous touch screen with no change. It would seem the issue is with the VM settings. 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

For the menu bar issue, you could try vmware-kvm.exe (assuming the host OS is Windows).
https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2057914

For the touch screen issue have a look at this thread, although it is a different guest OS (Linux vs Windows 2000). I am assuming the touchscreen device of the host machine is not being connected to the Windows 2000 VM.

https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Workstation-Pro/Touchpanel-not-working-in-VM-Ware-Linux-Gue...

0 Kudos
hwshaw
Contributor
Contributor

I am having trouble executing the vmware-kvm.exe as directed by the help sheets. It starts the interface then abruptly halts the process. I have attached the output from the log file generated

All suggestions welcome. 

0 Kudos
hwshaw
Contributor
Contributor

I moved onto the second suggestion and inserted the text recommended in the older solution. 

This stopped the banner appearing on screen touch... however I still have the latency where the input is on push behind. So on the onscreen keyboard I press "X" nothing happens I press "X" for the second time "X" appears. I press "Y" and  a "X" appears I press "Y" again and "Y" appears. So its always 1 step behind. 

0 Kudos
CharlyTh
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem , and I dont know how to resolve that yet

0 Kudos