VMware Communities
SolidVM2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Workstation 9 and vmrun stop

We're running a Windows Server 2012 and VMware Workstation 9.0.2 with 2 shared and 1 unshared VMs.

When I run "vmrun list" I get "Total running VMs: 1" which points to the unshared VM.

I take it vmrun does not see/recognize the shared VMs.

I'm trying to use "vmrun -T ws stop" to shutdown one of the shared VMs and I keep getting this error:

Error: The virtual machine is not powered on:

Is there a way for me to shutdown the shared VM using vmrun?  If not, how else can I gracefully shutdown the VM?

I'm been looking into this for a few days and have seen lots of different articles but nothing answers my question, thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

SolidVM2 wrote: I'm trying to use "vmrun -T ws stop" to shutdown one of the shared VMs and I keep getting this error:

Try using: vmrun -T ws-shared stop <path to vmx file>

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

SolidVM2 wrote: I'm trying to use "vmrun -T ws stop" to shutdown one of the shared VMs and I keep getting this error:

Try using: vmrun -T ws-shared stop <path to vmx file>

0 Kudos
SolidVM2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Great, that seems to be working but now I have to figure out what the "host user" and "host password" need.

Could you possibly point me to the right direction?

Host user requires a URL in this format:  https://<hostname>:<port>/sdk

But I'm not having much luck with it.  Is the port number either 443 or 8333, or do I also need to perform additional tasks and open these ports?

I'm not sure I'm giving it the correct information, so I appreciate your help.

Thanks

0 Kudos