VMware Communities
JimGravelle
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation 8 - i386 bundle install asking 64bit extensions?

Hi,

I'm trying to upgrade my VMware Workstation 7 to 8 on a 32-bit edition of OpenSUSE 11.3 and I recieve the following pop-up message when I run the bundled installer:

"One or more of your processors does not have the necessary 64bit extensions to run VMware virtual machines."

I find that a strange message to see considering I'm trying to install the 32 bit (i586) bundle version...not the 64 bit version.  I've done an md5sum check on the file and all checks out.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jim.

3 Replies
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Jim,

The message you are seeing is unrelated to the host OS; we are interested in the capabilities of the processor itself.  Even if the host OS is 32 bit, we need a 64-bit capable processor -- refer to the system requirements here: http://vmware.com/products/workstation/faqs.html

Check that your processor is 64 bit capable.  Upload the content of your /proc/cpuinfo if you are unsure.

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
JimGravelle
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Darius,

My CPU is an Athlon XP (Barton core)...which is a pure 32-bit architecture.  Workstation v7 didn't have such a requirement..so why is VMware essentially abandoning 32-bit CPUs?

Thanks,

Jim.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

0 Kudos