VMware Communities
rswelch
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation 8 / Gentoo host issue.

I know it's not a supported linux, but generally it works well.

The install itself went fine, but upon trying to start any vmware program I get the following errors.

NOT_IMPLEMENTED  /build/mts/release/bora-471780/bora/lib/misc/vthreaadBase.c:674

NOT_IMPLEMENTED  /build/mts/release/bora-471780/bora/lib/misc/vthreaadBase.c:674

Panic loop

and it exits.

Any ideas?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
21 Replies
paziulek
Contributor
Contributor

same error here, but the 'vmware' binary brings the workstation window,

impossible to enter the evaluation key, get license or register - none oif the buttons work:

===========================================

===========================================

2.6.39-gentoo-r3, 64bit SMP PREEMPT

i5 CPU

gcc-4.5.2

xorg-server 1.10.3

kde: 4.7.0

It is not supportd Linux distro, true, and probably never will be since of its nature... but this seems like a bug in the VM WS 8 and sooner or later will appear in other, "up-to-date" distros...

I will try to load the 32 bit release on an "older" GENTOO box... will post results

EDIT:

kernel: gentoo-2.6.36  32 bit

gcc 4 4.3

xorg-server: 1.9.0-r2

services started OK, as on 64 bit but during 'vmware' start, no graphical interface, just error on the console:

===================================================

vermagic:       2.6.38-gentoo-r6 SMP mod_unload 586
Logging to /tmp/vmware-root/modconfig-7148.log
process 7143: Attempt to remove filter function 0xb1d059f0 user data 0xb84621e0, but no such filter has been added

===================================================

also, on some systems, in the /etc/init.d/vmware script change /sbin/lsmod to /bin/lsmod  ( 2 instances - excluding the coments )

0 Kudos
paziulek
Contributor
Contributor

is there any way of creating a license file containing the license key? (since I am not able to use the graphical inteface's "Enter License Key" option.)

the file location is probably /etc/vmware or /usr/lib/vmware/licenses/user

all info I found on-line apply to other vmware products...

anyone running linux here? Thanks!

0 Kudos
trowbrds
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can you clarify why you're unable to use "Enter License Key"? Are you only getting the assertion when you try to do this?

0 Kudos
paziulek
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, Thanks for your  reply,

every time I hit "Enter License Key" button I get :

NOT_IMPLEMENTED /build/mts/release/bora-471780/bora/lib/misc/vthreadBase.c:674
Panic loop

in the console - no window appears to enter the key....

As far as creating a new Guest, it looks good, the customization "wizard" finishes fine and a guest VM is created... but I am unable to start it without the license....

Thank you.

0 Kudos
mattmgentoo
Contributor
Contributor

In general, if you're a significant user of workstation on gentoo, one should: a) use layman and add the vmware overlay to your make.conf (google "gentoo layman overlay" for howto) b) log issues via the gentoo bug tracker at bugs.gentoo.org c) for major new releases of workstation, you'll probably want to wait a week or two for the gentoo vmware team to test and put out an ebuild  Workstation 7.1.4 is currently in great shape for gentoo atm, I suspect 8.0 will also eventually be the same...we just have to figure out what vmware changed in this release.  Note that the main portage tree can fall significantly behind the vmware overlay, so if you're an early adopter the overlay is definitely the way to go.  Feel free to email me at mattm@gentoo.org 🙂

0 Kudos
paziulek
Contributor
Contributor

thank you mattm,

I tried 7.1.4 & layman ( seden ) to load vmware-modules on 2.6.39 kernel... all fine, it prompts for the license fine...

You are right, waiting a few days for an ebuild is an option, but on the other hand I do like to dig a bit deeper to solve some issues...

In this case one of the 'possible options / workaround' ( I guess ) would be installing a 'supported' version of Linux ( on kvm of course ) and moving the licensing info back to gentoo to the proper location... and hopefully it will work...

the "vthreadBase.c:674" errmsg I am getting ( and others ) does not help me in any case to continue troubleshooting... I will wait for results of research of the "guru's" @gentoo.org

if it is dependency related, something like Gtk (?)... VMware will have to fix this anyway since Ubuntu and the rest will upgrade their stuff at one point... ( and this is another guess )

I will follow VMware related threads on forums.gentoo and here...

Thank you again mattm - and have a good evening!

Mike

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi rswelch and fellow gentooers,

Which version of libselinux are you at?  In particular, we've seen this error previously as a result of a TLS bug in libselinux which we believe was fixed with libselinux-2.0.100.  I can't be 100% sure it's the cause in this case, but it's definitely worth checking.

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
rswelch
Contributor
Contributor

Well I don't even have selinux installed so I don't think that's it.  I suspect a thread issue since looking at the open-vm-tools (though not the latest ) I think must be using the same code.  oddities with pthread_setspecific() I would guess, but that's merely a guess.

I'm also running 2.6.39-gentoo-r3 SMP kernel on a i7-2820QM with glibc 2.12.2, gcc 4.4.5, kde 4.6.5

On my desktop machine I have been running the workstation-7.1.4 layman with no problems.  But figured since 8.0 was out I'd give it a run on my laptop.

0 Kudos
paziulek
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, same here, libselinux was not installed and VMw 7.x was fine, 8.0 does show the same error without libselinux and with the latest libselinux 2.1.0 - seems to be independent.

I was able to install VMw 8.0 on Ubuntu 9.10, install and enter the license, than move the "license-ws-80-471780" file to /etc/vmware on Gentoo - it worked... and I am able to start VMs... I noticed also, that on Ubuntu, the installer starts in Gtk UI ( default behavior ), on Gentoo, the test for Gtk or X version during the installation might not pass properly to spawn the graphical installer - this also might be related to errors we are getting ( in different locations but still the same errors )

rswelch : we are running quite similar configurations, my first guess is Gtk, and in my case I am able to start the interface...

what version of gtk is your system running?

on my box:

x11-libs/gtk+          3.0.12

x11-libs/gtk+extra   2.1.2-r1

x11-libs/gtkglext     1.2.0

x11-libs/wxGTK       2.8.12.0

The installer not going into Gtk, and the interface not starting "might" be related to Gtk release... ( ? )

Darius did point out a possible TLS problem... I looked up vthreadBase.c in open-vm-tools-2011.08.21-471295 and it very well might be related to the TLS version... may be even a better guess then Gtk....

on my system:

net-libs/gnutls         2.10.5

Thanks

0 Kudos
paziulek
Contributor
Contributor

rswetch - I think I was able to reproduce your 'vmware' start problem:

# vmware

Panic loop

I got this by switching to an older 4.4.6 gcc and re-installing vmware ws 8.0 :

# gcc-config -l
[1] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.4.6 *
[2] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.5.2

look in the /tmp/vmware-root directory, there is several log files, choose the latest apploader-xxxxx.log file and go to the last line...

2011-09-16T15:36:39.086-05:00| appLoader| W110: Unable to load dependencies for /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libvmware-modconfig.so/libvmware-modconfig.so
2011-09-16T15:36:39.086-05:00| appLoader| W110: Unable to execute /usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-modconfig.

if you execute : /usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-modconfig

you should get the same "Panic loop" error.... upgrading GCC to ie. 4.5.2  might solve the start problem...

in vthreadBase.c the dev comments are mentioning buggy 4.1 compilers... this might be a similar case....

if I use the 4.5.2, I am able to install and start vmware with no issue... but still a "workaround" for "Enter License Code" button is needed....

0 Kudos
mattmgentoo
Contributor
Contributor

Interesting....quite a number of gentoo deployments are still using gcc 4.4.5 so definitely a good catch here.

0 Kudos
rswelch
Contributor
Contributor

I have for gtk:

x11-libs/gtk+-2.24.4:2

x11-libs/gtksourceview-2.10.5-r1:2.0

tls

net-libs/gnutls-2.10.5:0

gcc:

gcc-config -l
[1] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.4.5 *

I was able to install vmware *with* the gui installer on this machine.

tls as shown in the vThreadbase would relate to thread local storage.  I suspect something is coming back unexpected from a pthread call.

0 Kudos
rswelch
Contributor
Contributor

addedd 4.5.2 to my system.  It now comes up, again with the license entry issue, but that seems to be easy to deal with.

Will try to see if doing a complete rebuild with 4.5.2 solves that issue.  Good thing the machine is quick...

Will let you all know if that happens to solve that last issue.

-randy

0 Kudos
rgallovarese
Contributor
Contributor

tried a complete rebuild of the system with emerge -e after upgrading gcc....

still is impossible to enter the licence code

gcc-config -l
[1] avr-4.5.3 *

[2] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.4.5
[3] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.5.2 *   <-the correct version is selected and i just finished recompiling everything with emerge -e system world

emerge --info
Portage 2.1.10.11 (default/linux/amd64/10.0, gcc-4.5.2, glibc-2.12.2-r0, 3.0.4-gentoo x86_64)
=================================================================
System uname: Linux-3.0.4-gentoo-x86_64-Intel-R-_Core-TM-_i7_CPU_M_640_@_2.80GHz-with-gentoo-2.0.3
Timestamp of tree: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 15:30:01 +0000
app-shells/bash:          4.1_p9
dev-java/java-config:     2.1.11-r3
dev-lang/python:          2.7.1-r1, 3.1.3-r1
dev-util/cmake:           2.8.4-r1
dev-util/pkgconfig:       0.26
sys-apps/baselayout:      2.0.3
sys-apps/openrc:          0.8.3-r1
sys-apps/sandbox:         2.4
sys-devel/autoconf:       2.13, 2.68
sys-devel/automake:       1.9.6-r3, 1.10.3, 1.11.1
sys-devel/binutils:       2.21.1-r1
sys-devel/gcc:            4.4.5, 4.5.2
sys-devel/gcc-config:     1.4.1-r1
sys-devel/libtool:        2.4-r1
sys-devel/make:           3.82-r1
sys-kernel/linux-headers: 2.6.36.1 (virtual/os-headers)
sys-libs/glibc:           2.12.2
Repositories: gentoo vmware kde ardunio
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="*"
CBUILD="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/share/config /usr/share/gnupg/qualified.txt /var/lib/hsqldb"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/env.d /etc/env.d/java/ /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/gentoo-release /etc/php/apache2-php5.3/ext-active/ /etc/php/cgi-php5.3/ext-active/ /etc/php/cli-php5.3/ext-active/ /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/sandbox.d /etc/terminfo"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="assume-digests binpkg-logs distlocks ebuild-locks fixlafiles fixpackages news parallel-fetch protect-owned sandbox sfperms strict unknown-features-warn unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch"
FFLAGS=""
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://mirror.switch.ch/ftp/mirror/gentoo/"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed"
LINGUAS="it"
MAKEOPTS="-j4"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/var/lib/layman/vmware /var/lib/layman/kde /var/lib/layman/arduino"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="X a52 aac aalib acl alsa amd64 amr apache2 archive atmo avx bash-completion berkdb bidi bl blueray bluetooth bluray bs2b bsf bzip2 cairo cdda cddb cdparanoia cdr cli consolekit cpudetection cracklib crypt cups curl cvs cxx daap dbus dcc_video declarative dga dirac directfb djvu dri dts dv dvb dvd eds emacs emovix encode esd exif extras faac faad facedetect fbcon ffmpeg flac fluidsynth fontconfig foomaticdb fortran frei0r ftp fuse gd gdbm gdu ggi gif gimp gme gnome gnome-keyring gphoto2 gpm gsm gstreamer gtk hal hpijs httpd iconv id3tag ieee1394 imagemagick imlib iodbc ios ipod ipv6 java jce joystick jpeg jpeg2k kate kde ladspa lame lcms ldap libass libcaca libnotify libproxy libsamplerate libtiger libv4l2 lirc live lua mad matroska md5sum mmx mmxext mng modplug modules mp3 mpeg mpi msn mtp mudflap multilib musepack musicbrainz mysql mythtv nas nautilus ncurses network networkmanager nls nptl nptlonly nsplugin nut odbc odk ogg opengl openmp pam pcmcia pcre pdf perl phonon php pic playlist png pnm policykit ppds pppd projectm pvr python qt-faststart qt3support qt4 radio rar readline remote-access remoteosd romio rtmp rtsp run-as-root samba scale0tilt schroedinger sdl sdl-image session shine shout skins slp smp sndfile snmp sox speex sql sqlite sse sse2 ssl ssse3 startup-notification static-ppds stream subversion svg sysfs taglib tcl tcpd templates tga theora threads tiff tk truetype twolame udev unicode upnp usb utils v4l2 vaapi vcd vcdx vdpau vix vlm vmware_guest_windows vnc vorbis vpx wavpack webkit wifi wma-fixed wmf x264 xanim xine xinerama xml xorg xosd xv xvid xvmc zlib zvbi" ALSA_CARDS="ali5451 als4000 atiixp atiixp-modem bt87x ca0106 cmipci emu10k1x ens1370 ens1371 es1938 es1968 fm801 hda-intel intel8x0 intel8x0m maestro3 trident usb-audio via82xx via82xx-modem ymfpci" ALSA_PCM_PLUGINS="adpcm alaw asym copy dmix dshare dsnoop empty extplug file hooks iec958 ioplug ladspa lfloat linear meter mmap_emul mulaw multi null plug rate route share shm softvol" APACHE2_MODULES="actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache cgi cgid dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" CALLIGRA_FEATURES="kexi words flow plan stage tables krita karbon braindump" CAMERAS="ptp2" COLLECTD_PLUGINS="df interface irq load memory rrdtool swap syslog" ELIBC="glibc" GPSD_PROTOCOLS="ashtech aivdm earthmate evermore fv18 garmin garmintxt gpsclock itrax mtk3301 nmea ntrip navcom oceanserver oldstyle oncore rtcm104v2 rtcm104v3 sirf superstar2 timing tsip tripmate tnt ubx" INPUT_DEVICES="evdev keyboard mouse synaptics" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" LINGUAS="it" PHP_TARGETS="php5-3" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby18" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="fbdev glint intel mach64 mga neomagic nouveau nv r128 radeon savage sis tdfx trident vesa via vmware dummy v4l" XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipset ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition tee tarpit sysrq steal rawnat logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"
Unset:  CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, LANG, LC_ALL, PORTAGE_BUNZIP2_COMMAND, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPT

gcc --version
gcc (Gentoo 4.5.2 p1.1, pie-0.4.5) 4.5.2
Copyright (C) 2010 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

0 Kudos
mattmgentoo
Contributor
Contributor

There is now an ebuild for vmware workstation 8 live in the vmware overlay.  I haven't checked who committed it or how much testing it has received, but you probably want to try it out and see if it helps.

0 Kudos
rswelch
Contributor
Contributor

Just tried the overlay and it doesn't address it yet....

-randy

0 Kudos
rgallovarese
Contributor
Contributor

tried the overlay after uninstalling vmware-workstation and modules but no cigar. The situation is even worse : it installs it without problems but then the gui fails to start. If i install using the bundle everything installs fine but i cannot enter the licence key.... I never cracked vmware i would like to use the licence in a regular way. Is there anyone that can explain me what does this error actually mean ?

please help

0 Kudos
snort80
Contributor
Contributor

Guys,

I was able to get pass this error message by upgrading my gcc from 4.4.5 to 4.5.3-r1 (please do follow the upgrade guide). The 4.5.3-r1 apparently was entered into stable this morning.

0 Kudos
rgallovarese
Contributor
Contributor

emerge -pv sys-devel/gcc

* IMPORTANT: 2 config files in '/etc/portage' need updating.
* See the CONFIGURATION FILES section of the emerge
* man page to learn how to update config files.

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R    ] sys-devel/gcc-4.5.3-r1  USE="fortran gtk mudflap (multilib) nls nptl openmp (-altivec) -bootstrap -build -doc (-fixed-point) -gcj -graphite (-hardened) (-libffi) -lto -multislot -nocxx -nopie -nossp -objc -objc++ -objc-gc -test -vanilla" 0 kB

yes now that I emerged -e system world successfully i have the gui but no cigar with the enter-licence-key button......

ls -la vmware-enter-serial  
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 29 Sep 21 15:37 vmware-enter-serial -> /usr/lib/vmware/bin/appLoader

0 Kudos