VMware Communities
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Workstation 15.5.6 now available

Had issues with 15.5.5 in terms of guest audio, or with Caps/Num/Scroll lock?

VMware Workstation 15.5.6 Pro Release Notes

Download VMware Workstation Pro

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
9 Replies
Mits2020
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Very nice to hear and very fast response! I hope all users having problems with 15.5.5 would take the time to post their feedback.

0 Kudos
Zongmin
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yes, the keyboard related issues, like Caps Lock, Number Lock always issue should have been fixed with Workstation/Player 15.5.6, which has just been released. We apologize for all the trouble brought by this issue. Thank you all for your patience!

Pls let us know if you see other issues.  And do send us your feature or improvement requests.

-The VMware Workstation Team

Mits2020
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Heh, I'm the one experiencing no problems at all, because I'm still using Windows 7 Smiley Happy

I'm here because I recently decided to give back to the Community some of my "tribal knowledge".

I wouldn't be surprised if 15.5.6 ends up fixing other things too not mentioned in the release notes, such as mouse problems. As a wise Prime Minister once said, "there are things that are talked about but cannot be done and things that are done that cannot be talked about".

Dryne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If I have already installed the latest vmware tools under all guests with 15.5.5 recently, will I have to install an update for 15.5.6?

0 Kudos
altae
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

On my system 15.5.6 has indeed fixed the issues. In my case these were the Caps Lock and Num Lock issues as well as the sound issues.

While undoing the workarounds in the .vmx config files a question arose: As part of the workaround we were told to switch from the default audio device (emulated ES1371 sound device) to the hd audio device using the switch 'sound.virtualDev = "hdaudio"'. Now that the issues with the emulated ES1371 sound device have been fixed should we return to said virtual device or do you recommend sticking with the virtual hd audio device?

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If your OS is new enough to use the HD Audio controller and you are satisfied with its performance, I would probably stick with HD Audio... It is the newest (and most actively developed) of the virtual sound devices.

Workstation 15.5.6 sets the default for pciSound.useSoundLib back to FALSE, so anyone who manually added that option can remove it now and everything should be back to normal.

--

Darius

altae
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok. In this case I'm sticking with the hd audio device. Thanks for your clarification.

0 Kudos
Lippolt
Contributor
Contributor

Good evening,

my problem with the Numlock has disappeared due to the update to version 15.5.6. Even the slow running of the programs no longer occurs. In my view, my problems have disappeared.

Thank you very much for the fast solution.

Best regards from Hanover in Germany

Peter

0 Kudos
Dryne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

JUST an FYI that there is no changes at all to VMWare Tools with this fix from the previous.

0 Kudos