VMware Communities
RussellBelding
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation 11.1.0 build 2496824 crashes with Word 2013

I am using Workstation 11.1.0 build-2496824

The OS is Win 7 and Word 2013 is installed.

I have an addin installed from Word's startup folder. This addin causes no problem on many systems.

eg. Win 7+Word 2010, Win 8.1+Wd 2013, Win Xp and several Wd versions.

Under Workstation as above whenever I attempt to change Word's start up folder  VM WS crashes as I press OK to effect the change.

It crashes when I use Word and the addin dotm file also.Some operations using the AddIn are without error.

When I use Word without the AddIn loaded Word is fine.

My free VMWare support has expired. I am unable to log a support request with VMware.

Is there and support for this kind of error here in this Community?

Many thanks,

Russell Belding

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jmtella
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

See Release Notes:

• Using certain Microsoft Office 2013 applications in a Windows 7 or later guest operating system can cause the guest to crash or the Workstation UI to become unresponsive.
    For example, if you use Outlook 2013 to compose and read email, after a while, the guest might crash, or after you use Word 2013 for a while, the Workstation UI might stop responding.
    Workaround: Turn off the 3D acceleration feature. From the menu bar, select VM > Settings > Display, and deselect Accelerate 3D Graphics.
0 Kudos
RussellBelding
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you jmtella. This action solves the two symptoms I saw when VMWare WS crashed. The description of the problem could have added something like:

"VMWare Workstation may crash when Addins are loaded which change display features." In the addin turned display updating on or off in cases but I have not verified this was a cause of VMWare WS crashing. Now it is not crashing of showing distress.

0 Kudos