VMware Communities
neergaard
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Workstation 10: automate (get rid of) move or copy dialog

I am trying to automate the stating of workstation images on a remote machine.  I'm using vmrun to do this after I push the VMs out over the network.

The Problem: I am trying to get rid of the standard "did you move or copy" dialog box.

The Question: is there anyway through vmrun to predetermine that answer (I want copied)?  Alternatively, I think I can add uuid.action to change, but I'm not sure that will do exactly the same thing?  Does it?  Assuming so, does it only do it once then not again?

Thanks!

Pete

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Exactly, it will only "answer" if the location of the VM changes. In such a case the VM will receive a new UUID and MAC address. However, keep in mind that the VM's hostname and SID (in case of Windows) are not affected, so you may need to perform additional steps to modify the guest OS if the systems run in the same network.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

When you add the uuid.action entry in a VM's configuration (.vmx) file it will automatically answer the question if required, i.e. every time you move or copy a VM.

André

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

vmx-parameters that work only once are very rare - I only know
bios.forceSetupOnce = "TRUE"
uuid.action parameters stick the way you set them.

uuid.action = "create"

generate new uuid
this is the "I copied the VM" answer
generates new MAC for ethernet*-devices
use for first boot of copied or cloned VMS

uuid.action = "keep"

keep uuid
this is this the "I moved the VM" answer
keeps existing MAC
use when you often move your VM

neergaard
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So it sounds like vmrun is not likely going to solve the problem, but the uuid.action = "create" should do the right thing.

A point of clarification: if I deploy a VM to a new machine, the "create" will in essence answer the question (copy) when it boots and create a new uuid.  My understanding is those 2 things are 'equivalent' - so the actions by selecting copy or uuid.action=create are identical.  Is that correct?

If so, that addresses my second question, which was does it do it just once.  When you select COPY, a new UUID is created, but only on the first boot.  Subsequent starts of the VM do not prompt with the MOVE/COPY dialog box since workstation has not detected that 'something' has changed.

So, is it fair to assume that inserting uuid.action=create is the same thing as simply select COPY every time the MOVE/COPY dialog comes up?

Thanks,

Pete

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Exactly, it will only "answer" if the location of the VM changes. In such a case the VM will receive a new UUID and MAC address. However, keep in mind that the VM's hostname and SID (in case of Windows) are not affected, so you may need to perform additional steps to modify the guest OS if the systems run in the same network.

André

0 Kudos