VMware Communities
Sandi1987
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 11 Decrypt Password

I have installed Windows 11 in VMware Workstation with enabled TPM and Secure Boot. I always need enter password for VM because it's encrypted. Host is Windows 11.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

So what is your question?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Sandi1987
Contributor
Contributor

Is it possible to run Windows 11 VM without entering password?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Yes and no.

If you use an encrypted disk (the official supported and recommended way) then you'll have a password screen.
If you use the experimental AutoAddvTPM feature then your disk won't be encrypted, but several configuration files are..

Using that experimental feature works around it, but I highly recommend keeping a copy of your unencrypted VM before going down this path.

More info here: https://www.vimalin.com/blog/what-you-should-know-about-vmwares-experimental-vtpm/

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
CarltonR
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Except from forum thread Can't install Windows 11  . . .

There are three ways in which to perform a VMware Workstation Win 11 VM clean install, plus one upgrade option:

• TPM 2.0 and other hardware is present and correct (VMware Workstation encryption config required)
  • No TPM 2.0 with compatible hardware (implementing the experimental .vmx entry managedvm.autoAddVTPM)
  • No TPM 2.0 with or without hardware compatibility checks (no changes to VMware Workstation required) [see below] 
  • TPM 1.2 Upgrade from Win 10.

Note: When using the .vmx file change option then you might like to check out, if you have not already done so, the vimalin blog, plus, you have to remember after making the change, to shut down VMware Workstation for it to take effect.

So, should you wish to install without a TPM and with processor hardware that may or may not meet the prerequisites, and not have to make any changes to VMware Workstation, then . . . refer to this link for instructions. Clearly you will have to 'add the USB hardware' to the VM.  There is just one slight modification to the instructions, after the "Close the text editor window and the Command Prompt window" part, then perform the following action:

• Press the back Arrow on the toolbar

CarltonR_0-1639228701984.png

0 Kudos