VMware Communities
peterjhunter
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows 10 host - Workstation Pro 12 - Host hangs

I am running a dual monitor Workstation 12 Pro (upgraded for a couple of years) on a system that used to be Windows 7.  I recently upgraded the host OS to Windows 10 Pro.

I typically have 2-3 guest VMs running at a time with a mix of Linux, Windows 7, windows 10, and windows 8.1.

When the host was Windows 7, I occasionally had problems with the host freezing and locking up when the windows 8.1 system was running.  The only fix was to reboot.  This seemed to happen frequently, if the host performed a windows update check. 

Now that I've upgraded to Windows 10, it only takes a few minutes to an hour for any of my VMs to cause the host to freeze up.  By changing my system Group Policy, I've set Windows Update to prompt me before installing updates.  So, Windows Update can't be the problem.

I've run all of the usual hardware diagnostics and nothing comes up.  I've updated all of my drivers to the latest.

The host is not completely wedged, as I hear the hard drives spinning and I can ping the host.  However, no higher level network services are responsive, such as file shares, Remote Registry service, WMI, etc.  The mouse is stuck in "wait".  The task bar is unresponsive and CTRL-ALT-DEL does nothing.  After reboot, the windows event logs show nothing of interest.  I enabled VMware debugging, but nothing unusual shows up in the logs.

I've disabled 3D hardware acceleration for the guest VMs.  Nothing seems to work.

Any ideas on the best way to triage this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
peterjhunter
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, I noticed that right around the time of a recent hang, that a bunch of automatic maintenance tasks were running with Windows 10.  Using Task Scheduler, I've disabled all of the automatic maintenance tasks associated with Windows 10:

-File History

-DiskCleanup

-Defrag

-Maintenance

-Windows Defender

-Application Data\DsSvcCleanup

-Chkdsk

-MemoryDiagnostic

-MUI

-Power Efficiency Diagnostic

Since then I've been running without a hang overnight which is a record since the update to Windows 10 for the host, but far from ideal.  Fingers crossed that this solves the problem.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
peterjhunter
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, I noticed that right around the time of a recent hang, that a bunch of automatic maintenance tasks were running with Windows 10.  Using Task Scheduler, I've disabled all of the automatic maintenance tasks associated with Windows 10:

-File History

-DiskCleanup

-Defrag

-Maintenance

-Windows Defender

-Application Data\DsSvcCleanup

-Chkdsk

-MemoryDiagnostic

-MUI

-Power Efficiency Diagnostic

Since then I've been running without a hang overnight which is a record since the update to Windows 10 for the host, but far from ideal.  Fingers crossed that this solves the problem.

0 Kudos
peterjhunter
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Been running for 48 hours without an issue.  Problem clearly was related to one (or more) of the scheduled tasks listed above.  One of them must interact with vmware workstation in some fashion that causes the OS to deadlock.

0 Kudos
_Royce_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If Defrag hit the VMDK file I'm sure you'd have an issue. But I would have thought it smart enough to skip it.

I would re-enable them one by one and test for the deadlock until you find it. Those maintenance tasks shouldn't be disabled.

0 Kudos