After installing this Windows update "KB4517211" VMWare workstation 12 no longer starts.
Had to delete update....
Same for somebody else using VM 14
Deleting the update is only a short term fix and I wouldn't expect a fix unless WMware fix version 12 to run on the latest version of Windows.
I posted here and there a few replies on page 12 and 13.
have a look here - Haven't tried but will give it a go and let you know.
I have tried this on my optiplex 780 and this works, only i replaced the Sysmain.sdb with my own from before the update.
I know this is short term but for now this works, As i cant install player 15 due to cpu not supported
This started after installing some cumulative updates for windows 10 1903.
There are various ways to stop this error (Vmware Workstation Pro Can't Run On Windows).
1. Uninstall updates causing problems.
- Blocked uninstalled updates from reinstalling using show or hide troubleshooter tool from microsoft (https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/3183922/how-to-temporarily-prevent-a-windows-update-from-re... )
- Finally restart your computer and run vmware.
2. Install ADK() and select application compatibility toolkit (ACT) checkbox. (https://docs.microsoft.com/it-it/windows-hardware/get-started/adk-install)
- Disable entry for vmware in the applications section using compatibility administrator.
Uninstalling Updates :
Using compatibility administrator
FYI, the official VMware statement on this issue is here: