dotis
Contributor
Contributor

Why does Windows ask me to repair the drive after use

Workstation 10 latest version

Host: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Guest: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

I have a physical drive mounted in the VM

Every time I run the VM and even if I never touch the mounted drive I get a message from Windows that the drive needs to be repaired after I exit.  I see a lot of attribute corruption and index errors.

What is the cause of this and how do I fix it.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Where do you see the error message - in the guest or on the host?

If you are using a physical disk for your VM, you should NEVER EVER EVER attach it to your host, or you will risk corruption!

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

First of all: who tells you about the errors ?
A: your host : it suggests to run checkdisk or even automatically starts it after a reboot
B: VMware: it tells you that a virtual disk has errors and suggests that you repair them manually

if it is A: stop whatever you are doing - it is not safe
if it is B: first of all make sure that the disk you use for raw access does NOT use exFAT, Storage-spaces , REFS or compressed regular NTFS
Also make sure NOT to store any important vmdks on exFAT , Storage-spaces , REFS or compressed regular NTFS

Personally I regard the use of physical disks on Win 8.1 hosts as experimental - I would not use such a VM for important data at all.
At the moment I would also not use growing vmdks for important data - if you have to use growing vmdks make regular backups.

If you ever need to use vmware-vdiskmanager -R - you can download a working version from WS 7.1 - search the knowledgebase for instructions

0 Kudos
dotis
Contributor
Contributor

I get the notification bubble in the guest and the host telling me I need to reboot to repair.  The physical disk is attached but is locked from being used by the host.  I will go back to using a network share but it is a bit slower.

0 Kudos