VMware Communities
BobAgi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Which WS version is needed to run Windows 8?

I am currently on the WS 7.1.6 version with a Win7X64 host  but I have bought an upgrade to 8 a while ago but did not install it on this PC since I saw a lot of complains about stability etc.

And the laptop I did install it on to check it out crashed (SSD corruption) so it was hosed.---

Now I have to test some software we develop on a Win8 machine so I need to create a working virtual machine for a Windows 8 guest.

What version of Workstation do I need for this?

Are there any caveats in upgrading my PC to the latest version of WS 8?

Will WS8 handle Windows 8 guests?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

According to http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?deviceCategory=software&testConfig=16 to run Windows 8 you will need at least version 9 - and to run 8.1 you will need version 10 

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
BobAgi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I could not get anything out of the page you linked me to...

No indication on what to do or what to enter in order to get a result...

Anyway I take your word for it. So I have to get WS 10.

Is an upgrade to WS 10 from the version 8 I have already upgraded to possible?

I am assuming this is just a purchase question, as far as I know VMWare never upgrades WorkStation in place, you instead uninstall the old version and install the next.

Or do I need to buy a separate new WS 10?

I am assuming I can still use my WS 7 including installing it on new hardware  if I need to.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

BobAgi wrote: I could not get anything out of the page you linked me to...

No indication on what to do or what to enter in order to get a result...

Seriously!?  Okay, using your query as an example, under What are you looking for: select Guest OS, under Product Name: select Workstation, under OS Family Name: select Windows 8 and then click Update and View Results.  Look at the red arrows in the image below! Smiley Wink  Now how hard is that?

(Click image to enlarge.)

VMware_Compatibility_Guide_Workstation_Windows_8.png

Is an upgrade to WS 10 from the version 8 I have already upgraded to possible?

I am assuming this is just a purchase question, as far as I know VMWare never upgrades WorkStation in place, you instead uninstall the old version and install the next.

Or do I need to buy a separate new WS 10?

I am assuming I can still use my WS 7 including installing it on new hardware  if I need to.

VMware Workstation 10 is upgradable from VMware Workstation versions 8 and 9.

If you upgrade from the version 8 license, which was an upgrade license from version 7, to version 10 and not counting downgrade rights if applicable, you may only run version 10 since it was purchased through an upgrade path.  Meaning unless you have separate full licenses that were not used to upgrade to another version then you cannot continue to use previous version on another system.  In other words when you upgraded to 8 from 7 you're entitled to use one or the other not both and then same applies from 8 to 10, one or the other not both.  If you want to continue to still use v7 then you need to purchase the full license for v10 not an upgrade.

0 Kudos
BobAgi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I assumed you were to select something in all 4 boxes, which I did and there was no output at all.

Expected to see a list of what is supported in WS8 for instance...

Anyway, if what you say about usage of my already installed WS7 is correct than an upgrade is a showstopper.

I do not want to be locked in to a WS version that is broken, that is not an option.

Compare this strange upgrade system to what Embarcadero is doing on their development systems RAD Studio:

If you upgrade from one rather old version to the latest you automatically also get a license for all intervening products at the same level!

So if the latest version turns out to have fatal flaws or a feature added breaks your project development you can just install an earlier version and get on with your work.

This seems not to be the case for VMWare...

It is a pity my daughther quit as development manager for WorkStation so I cannot tell her how these things should work!

0 Kudos