VMware Communities
balubeto
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

[WS10.x] Public network unidentified and DHCP server not identified

Hi

I installed Workstation 10.x on Windows 8.1 64-bit Enterprise.

I have noticed that Workstation creates a public network unidentified with VMNet1 and vmnet8 adapters. How do I change this public network in private, to increase the performance?

I have created a virtual machine by setting its network adapter in bridged mode and I installed Windows 8.1 64-bit Enterprise on it. Now, I noticed that this virtual machine is not connected to the network because my DHCP server is not identified as displayed in the following figure:

connessioni di rete.jpg

Thanks

Bye

balubeto
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Did you even look in the Avira Internet Security 2013 Help File from the product's help menu and read the available documentation, "User Manual - Avira Internet Security 2013" and "HowTo - Avira Internet Security Firewall"?  Which is available from Avira's website, NOT VMware because this is not a VMware Product nor is this the Avira product support forum!

Message was edited by: WoodyZ - While this is the correct answer to your question in Re: [WS10.x] Public network unidentified and DHCP server not identified, it is not the correct answer for the OP which can be found in Re: [WS10.x] Public network unidentified and DHCP server not identified.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I have noticed that Workstation creates a public network unidentified with VMNet1 and vmnet8 adapters. How do I change this public network in private, to increase the performance?

This subject has already been covered many times in these forums so either search the forums or use Google.  BTW This is not a VMware Workstation issue per se and is more a Windows issue in that any changes to the default has to be done in Windows as Windows alone is controlling this! Smiley Wink

I have created a virtual machine by setting its network adapter in bridged mode and I installed Windows 8.1 64-bit Enterprise on it. Now, I noticed that this virtual machine is not connected to the network because my DHCP server is not identified as displayed in the following figure:

connessioni di rete.jpg

While it's said a picture is worth a thousand word... well it's not when in Italian when one doesn't speak the language! Smiley Wink  Sorry, but I see nothing the picture to help.

Sometimes there are issue when using Bridged and VMnet0 is set to automatic in the Virtual Network Editor.  Try bridging to a specific active NIC in the Virtual Network Editor.  Also in some cases Bridged may not work with some Routers due to Administrative Settings although usually in commercial networks, not at home.

If Bridged will not work have you tried using NAT id if so did it work?

Message was edited by: WoodyZ - BTW The information I just provided has already been covered ad nauseam and you really need to start searching the Forums and using Google because 99.9 percent of the issues/question you have/ask have already been covered and the answers are already here in the forums and or on the Internet! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

balubeto wrote: I have noticed that Workstation creates a public network unidentified with VMNet1 and vmnet8 adapters. How do I change this public network in private, to increase the performance?

BTW You already asked this once before, albeit for Windows 7, and nothing has changed! Smiley Wink  Have a look at your post: Changing the category and location of VMnet1 and VMnet8 connections

0 Kudos
balubeto
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi

To deceive Windows 8.1 on the public network created by VMWare, I should follow the procedure described in the "Redefine the VMware virtual NICs as endpoint devices" paragraph of the http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100481... article even if the host is Windows 8.1 64-bit Enterprise.

Regarding the problem of the Bridged mode, I tried to set the NAT mode and with it the communications between the VM and the LAN and between the VM and Internet work fine. Now, with the Bridged mode, why the VM is unable to establish any connection?

Thanks

Bye

balubeto
0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

To deceive Windows 8.1 on the public network created by VMWare, I should follow the procedure described in the "Redefine the VMware virtual NICs as endpoint devices" paragraph of the http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100481... article even if the host is Windows 8.1 64-bit Enterprise.

If you click on the Changing the category and location of VMnet1 and VMnet8 connections link the first reply is from me and if you click on the link I provided (Re: How Do I Change Network Type On VM Ware Adapter) the last reply in that thread, made by me (Re: How Do I Change Network Type On VM Ware Adapter), give two methods!  The first is to use the Local Group Policy Editor and the second is to use information in the VMware KB.  Take your pick!

In Windows 8.1 x64 you have two choices for the Network Adapter to be in either Private network or Public network and the default for Unidentified networks is Public network.  So if you want Unidentified networks set to Private network you need to modify setting using the Local Group Policy Editor!

Regarding the problem of the Bridged mode, I tried to set the NAT mode and with it the communications between the VM and the LAN and between the VM and Internet work fine. Now, with the Bridged mode, why the VM is unable to establish any connection?

There can be more then one reason why Bridged isn't working for you and I'm not going to waste my time enumerating all the possibilities because this subject already has been exhaustively covered in both the forums here and on the Internet.  So again I suggest you do some searching either in the forums or use a search engine like Google!

0 Kudos
balubeto
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

For a detailed analysis of my problem with the Bridged mode, what information you need?

Thanks

Bye

balubeto
0 Kudos
balubeto
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I finally understood why the VM, set in bridged mode, can not establish a network connection: The cause is the firewall Avira Internet Security 2013. Now, how do I create a rule to avoid the lock of this firewall?

Thanks

Bye

balubeto
0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Did you even look in the Avira Internet Security 2013 Help File from the product's help menu and read the available documentation, "User Manual - Avira Internet Security 2013" and "HowTo - Avira Internet Security Firewall"?  Which is available from Avira's website, NOT VMware because this is not a VMware Product nor is this the Avira product support forum!

Message was edited by: WoodyZ - While this is the correct answer to your question in Re: [WS10.x] Public network unidentified and DHCP server not identified, it is not the correct answer for the OP which can be found in Re: [WS10.x] Public network unidentified and DHCP server not identified.

0 Kudos