VMware Communities
zx5000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

WS 6.5 & kernel update

I had WS 6.5 working fine until Fedora did it's last update. The usual kernel module incompatibility. So as usual I sudo vmware-config.pl and there is no vmware-config.pl anymore.

What has replaced this function? How do I rebuild VMWare for this kernel?

TIA

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CharlieM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for your input.

I downloaded the .rpm. I don't think it would need to be fully uninstalled and reinstalled. I'm sure there must be another way to re-build the kernel modules.

Perhaps someone from VMWare can chime in?

Please see this thread: http://communities.vmware.com/thread/172023

Two fixes are listed there: 1) make sure haldaemon is running, and 2) "mv /usr/lib/vmware/modules/binary /usr/lib/vmware/modules/binary.old".

In VMware6.5, kernel modules should be rebuilt automatically as needed. If not, you can force a rebuild by running (as root): "vmware-modconfig --console --install-all"

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I run SUSE but IIRC, when I ran the bundle, it un-installed the current version of WS, then reinstalled and configured the new version, keeping all of my settings. I don't think vmware-config.pl is run the same way it used to be. I would guess that the RPM does the same thing, but have used the bundle since the BETA.

Lou

0 Kudos
zx5000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for your input.

I downloaded the .rpm. I don't think it would need to be fully uninstalled and reinstalled. I'm sure there must be another way to re-build the kernel modules.

0 Kudos
CharlieM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for your input.

Please see this thread: http://communities.vmware.com/thread/172023

Two fixes are listed there: 1) make sure haldaemon is running, and 2) "mv /usr/lib/vmware/modules/binary /usr/lib/vmware/modules/binary.old".

In VMware6.5, kernel modules should be rebuilt automatically as needed. If not, you can force a rebuild by running (as root): "vmware-modconfig --console --install-all"

0 Kudos
zx5000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ahh, sudo vmware did the trick. It popped up a nice graphical rebuild dialog. As boogerhead user vmware silently dies after informing you it need to be rebuilt.

$ vmware

Logging to /tmp/vmware-jpowell/setup-13590.log

(vmware-modconfig:13590): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme directory scalable/animations/small/16x16 of theme oxygen has no size field

(vmware-modconfig:13590): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme directory scalable/animations/small/22x22 of theme oxygen has no size field

modinfo: could not find module vmmon

modinfo: could not find module vmnet

modinfo: could not find module vmblock

modinfo: could not find module vmci

modinfo: could not find module vsock

modinfo: could not find module vmblock

modinfo: could not find module vmci

modinfo: could not find module vsock