Michael_Non
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Vmware workstation 11 and Windows 10 Build 9926 auto resize not working

Host: Windows 8.1 Pro x64

Vmware: Workstation 11

Guest: Windows 10 Build 9926

Problem I'm having is in the guest os (win 10).  I can't auto resize the guest to fit the window (Vmware worksation, View, Fit guest now.  It flickers to the full screen, then goes back to the resolution it was at.  I'm stuck at the resolutions Windows gives me.

I know this build just came out today.  But I figured I'd give you guys a heads up.

Thx.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Michael_Non
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Build 10074 works!!!!

So, I did a clean install of the new build (10074).  Workstation did an easy install on it.  During the easy install process, it didn't install VMWare tools, yet I see tools were installed.  I tried to re-size the screen with the 3D Acceleration turned on; and it worked!!

This issue is finally solved.!

View solution in original post

43 Replies
BoomerangThree
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same here.  If it's any consolation, Parallels 10 has the same issue.

Also, both Fusion and Parallels stay in an infinite loop when installing tools.

0 Kudos
jeremy68
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same here FWIW.

Workstation 11 on Windows 8.1 Host with the latest Win 10 Preview guest.

0 Kudos
matthewls
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Same here running a windows 7 guest on a linux host. It used to work perfectly....maybe the nvidia driver...

Turns out it the problem was having 2 monitors listed in the .vmx file. Changing it to 1 fixed it:

svga.numDisplays = "1"

tezgnomedia
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Also experiencing the same issue. VMware Workstation 11 on Windows 8.1 with Windows 10 Build 9926.

0 Kudos
JohnPeterson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

this fail too

"C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools\VMwareResolutionSet" 0 1 , 0 0 1916 979

nircmd setdisplay 1916 979 32

0 Kudos
wesweber
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm having the same problem.  I re-installed vmware-tools and got several " can't find drivers" errors including the display, mouse and others.  The mouse works find but the display won't autosize.

Maybe the vm isn't recognizing where the drivers are located in Windows 10?

0 Kudos
georgn
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

FWIW, this problem happens with Fusion (on Mac) as well.  1152x864 is absurdly small on my huge displays and resizing just magnifies a shitty low res image.

0 Kudos
belloa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

same problem here ubuntu 14.10 with VMware Workstation 11 as a host Windows 10 9926 as guest, problem on resolution auto resize.

0 Kudos
idigitaljock
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same Here. Workstation 11 running on Windows 8.1 Host with latest preview build 9926. Can't re-size guest. I don't even get a flicker or black screen momentarily. Nothing happens at all.

0 Kudos
Michael_Non
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ping.

Hey Vmwae!  You are aware of this, right?

0 Kudos
jeremy68
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I find it a bit disconcerting that there has been no VMWare response.  I'm not expecting an instant fix but a simple "Yeah, we're aware of it and we are looking to fix it" would be good customer relations. The optics are not good here for VMWare.

0 Kudos
an0maly33
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same here - I just let Win10 do an update to Build 9926 and now I can't resize the window.  I reinstalled Tools but it told me most of the drivers would need to be installed manually.

Workstation 11.0.0 build-2305329 on Win8.1 host

There are no Tools updates available.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I had the same problem, try going to "Edit virtual machine settings" then "Display" then UN CHECK the box marked "Accelerate 3D graphics" it worked for me. The last Windows 10 update did not fix this problem, so it might be down to VMware to sort it out.

Michael_Non
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Wow, that worked!  Turned off 3d in the settings and now it works.

Now I just hope VMWare gets around to fixing it.

0 Kudos
georgn
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I got very excited but found that this workaround does not work on Vmware Fusion.

Bummer

0 Kudos
Michael_Non
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well, my thought is that any workaround should be temporary.

But we still haven't heard a peep from VMWare on this problem.  :smileyangry:

0 Kudos
tezgnomedia
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So, it does appear that with workstation 11, turning off 3D graphics resolves the issue. This definitely appears to be a tools/driver issue. Hopefully, VMware will update to fix.

0 Kudos
Gianky73
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

same problem here with VMware Workstation 11 and  Windows 10 9926 as guest, workaround works! many thanks

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi folks,

VMware engineering is aware of the issue.  We'll continue to investigate and resolve the issue as appropriate.

Some users have reported that the issue may be worked around by disabling 3D accelerated graphics in the VM's settings.  (That doesn't help if you need 3D accelerated graphics, though...)

We don't yet have information to share on the availability of a fix or whether it will arrive in the form of a VMware update or a Microsoft update.

Thanks for your patience,

--

Darius

0 Kudos