VMware Communities
developer25
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Vmware Pro License and Fee

When I purchase the Pro version, can I use the software for life without any additional payments, or do I need to pay a yearly/monthly fee to continue using it?  Can I use ESXi product unlimitedly with VMware Pro?

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Alfista_PS
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

And you can have one license only on one product, you can't have two or more running products with the same license.

Alfista
----------------------
Audio-Video Accessories
Selling and Integration of Audio & Video Accessories and Technology
If my answer has resolved your problem please mark as RESOLVED or if it has only was a good help then give me the KUDOS. Thanks.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I suggest reading the licensing FAQs: https://www.vmware.com/products/workstation-pro/faq.html

Workstation Pro licenses are totally different and separate to ESXi licenses, as per my previous comment.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

When you say "the Pro version" are you referring to VMware Workstation, or some other product?

0 Kudos
developer25
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am referring to VMware Workstation Pro.

0 Kudos
Alfista_PS
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

Yes, the VMware Workstation Pro as all Workstation version including Fusion have still the perpetual licences and will have it, By tis products aren't any changes. But you will see with newer versions of Win OS you will ned later an upgrade 😉. You should have in the payment if I know correctly 1 year support included and then you can use it but without support and possibility to get updates.

Alfista
----------------------
Audio-Video Accessories
If my answer has resolved your problem please mark as RESOLVED or if it has only was a good help then give me the KUDOS. Thanks.
0 Kudos
Alfista_PS
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

To the ESXi that you use. If you use older versions or free one and you will not upgrade it to newer version, then you will have the possibility to use it also while the are under perpetual licences but when you will follow the new updates, they has changes for subscriptions and when your support expires then you will need to pay the subscription. Therefor I suggest you to don't update it, that you can use it.

Alfista
----------------------
Audio-Video Accessories
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

A moderator should move your post to the area of the forums for Workstation Pro now that I have reported the post.

Workstation Pro currently has a perpetual licence rather than being on a subscription, so if you bought a licence for v17 you can continue to use v17 software.

ESXi is now only available for commercial use via a subscription licence, there used to be a free vSphere Hypervisor licence but that no longer exists. For non-commercial use of ESXi, have a look at the VMUG Advantage program: https://www.vmug.com/membership/vmug-advantage-membership

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
developer25
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can I use the same license key multiple times for my project across different companies? Can I install VMware on 2 or more machines using the same Workstation Pro key?

Thanks.

developer25
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I haven't purchased VMware Workstation Pro yet. I'm researching before buying it. Once I purchase VMware Workstation Pro, will I be able to use the Pro license for ESXi, or do I need to purchase a separate product for ESXi? I should note that I don't have detailed knowledge on this subject.
Thanks

0 Kudos
Alfista_PS
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

The ESXi and Workstation has different licenses and now you will be able only to buy for ESXi subscription and this from May, while now any licenses aren't sold while there is big moving. Only what you can buy are licenses for Workstation while there aren't any changes.

Alfista
----------------------
Audio-Video Accessories
0 Kudos
Alfista_PS
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

And you can have one license only on one product, you can't have two or more running products with the same license.

Alfista
----------------------
Audio-Video Accessories
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I suggest reading the licensing FAQs: https://www.vmware.com/products/workstation-pro/faq.html

Workstation Pro licenses are totally different and separate to ESXi licenses, as per my previous comment.

0 Kudos
developer25
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks

0 Kudos
developer25
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks

0 Kudos
Alfista_PS
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Its a pleasure to help.

When my answer was enough then please mark it as answered.

Thanks.

Alfista
----------------------
Audio-Video Accessories
0 Kudos