VMware Communities
markvmm
Contributor
Contributor

Vista 64 bit 'Manage Virtual Networks' does not seem to work properly...TBD?

Hi!

I was recently move to MS/Windows/Vista/Pro/64bit (host) running VMware-ws-6.5.1.

I need to use multiple networks; however, the means to do this is very different (behavior) from ws-6.5.1 on say WinXP/Pro/32bit.

(basically, it barely works; I need to be able to exclude adapters ... this does NOT seem to work at all; too bad I really need it).

Anyone got any ideas? Work Arounds?

Mark

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I run Vista 64-bit and don't have any problems with the "Manage Virtual Networks" option. I have excluded my WiFi card from the "Automatic Bridging" tab.

Can you describe your problem in more detail? Perhaps you are trying something unique that I haven't thought about...

0 Kudos
markvmm
Contributor
Contributor

Scissor -

... sure

My network consists of 2 ethernet connections on my HP/notebook computer (I also have a WiFi, but it's not an option in my environment).

The main/ethernet connection goes to internal network: 192.168.2.0. I have anotherUSB/Belkin/HUB to a D-Link/DUB-E100 USB/Ethernet to an engineering/test network: 192.168.214.0.

I'm running:

HOST:

• Windows Vista Pro 64 bit with 4 GB RAM (the only reason I'm running Vista 64 bit; re: XP can only address 3 GB/RAM).

• Internal 250GB/HDD

• External 512GB USB/HDD

GUEST1:

• Windows XP PRO - this needs to connect to network: 192.168.2.0 via a VPN.

GUEST2:

• Linux/RHEL4 - this needs to connect to network: 192.168.214.0.

GUEST3:

• Windows XP - this also needs to connect to network: 192.168.214.0

The problem is that neither of the 2 ethernet connections show up for 'Automatic Bridging - Excluded adapters' (re: Virtual Network Editor).

What I really want to do is use 'Host Virtual Network Mapping' to manage: 'VMnet0 - bridged to network 192.168.2.0'

and 'VMnet2 - bridged to network 192.168.214.0'. This is what I have been doing with an XP host for a long time with no problems.

I just want VMware/WS on Vista to act the same as it does on XP.

Mark

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The main/ethernet connection goes to internal network: 192.168.2.0. I have anotherUSB/Belkin/HUB to a D-Link/DUB-E100 USB/Ethernet to an engineering/test network: 192.168.214.0.

The problem is that neither of the 2 ethernet connections show up for 'Automatic Bridging - Excluded adapters' (re: Virtual Network Editor).

Can you pull up the properties of your Host's physical ethernet adapters and verify that the "VMware Bridge Protocol" is installed and checked? (Note: on my system, the VMware Bridge Protocol is listed as installed but NOT checked for the two VMware Virtual Ethernet Adapters -- so don't check it on those two virtual adapters).

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

Also make sure when selecting to run "vmnetcfg.exe" to "Run As Administrator" on Vista

0 Kudos
markvmm
Contributor
Contributor

KevinG -

...that was it...something very simple indeed (re: getting use to Vista).

Thanks!

Mark

0 Kudos