VMware Communities
piggyz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Virtual Machines guest and Hardware version 11 and 3D (MODIFIED and updated)

I read on Changelog that Virtual Hardware version 11 could lead to problems in 3D support for guests.

Becouse of this, I still run VMware Workstation 11 guests on hardware version 10.

I did some tests on version 11 and 3D under Linux Guest and it seems to work fine.

So now, which problems Workstation 11 got with gusts 3D support on hardware revision 11?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Can you link to or post the issue you are worried about?

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
piggyz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi and thank you for your reply.

Actually I personally do not have any issue. I just remember to have read somewhere (I wondering it was an official VMware document on the web) that virtual machines (guests) with Virtual Hardware version 11 could lead to problems with 3D support.

I personally didn't experience this problems, then I want to know if memory serve me well and really virtual hardware 11 could lead to problems with 3D support in guests machines or if Virtual Hardware 11 is reliable also for this type of operations.

Here it is!!! It comes from the VMware Workstation release notes. In my experience also Archlinux rolling release updated with the last packages and patches support 3D with virtual hardware revision 11, then I'm curious how I can be sure about this support without personally experiencing inside the guest.

From VMware Workstation 11 release notes:

• 3D rendering is not available in some guest operating systems if you use virtual hardware version 11.
    If you upgrade a virtual machine from virtual hardware version 10 to 11, you might loose 3D functionality in the virtual machine.
    Workaround: For Windows guest operating systems, upgrade VMware Tools to the latest version, which is included with Workstation 11. For Linux guests, only the following distributions are currently supported for virtual hardware version 11:
    • Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and above
    • Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS and above
    • Fedora 20 with latest updates and above
  • For other Linux distributions and versions, if you plan to use 3D functionality, downgrade the virtual hardware version to 10.

BTW, I think VMware shouldn't had released Virtual Hardware 11 if it wasn't completed, to avoid this mess about not knowing where and which distro you can upgrade.

0 Kudos