VMware Communities
lgsalem
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware workstation 8 briged connection unable to get an ip from dhcp server

Hello i hope somebody can help me with this problem, My Vms are unable to get an ip from my dhcp server running in windows server 2008R2.

VMware workstation 8 is running in windows 7 proff. 64 bits OS. My physical computer gets an ip from dhcp server with no problem have internet access and everything works just fine, but my VMs for some reason are unable to get an ip from dchp server.  I set Virtual nework editor Briged to one of my physical NICs. Then i set my VM network adapter to briged in for some reason my VMs are unable to get an ip. The only ips i get are 169.254.43.129 add 255.255.0.0. any help would be greatly appreciate it. Thanks so much.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

FYI - you posted a part of the vmware.log

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

WS 8 sometimes creates poor vmx-file
make sure you have

ethernet0.startConnected = "true"

in your vmx-file - do not trust the GUI checkbox

0 Kudos
lgsalem
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I checked my vmx-file and I didn't see ethernet0.startConnected=TRUE. I included an attachment of my vmx-file.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

FYI - you posted a part of the vmware.log

0 Kudos
lgsalem
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

After reviewing my vmx-file again i found eternet0.startConnected=FALSE so i change to TRUE as you told me. Now my VMs are able to get

an ip from my DHCP server and have connectivity to internet. Thank you very much, for all you help.

0 Kudos
Gabana
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hi

my vmware workstation 8 also had such this problem . after that i upgrade it to version 9 but the problem did not fix.

how can i solve it ?

thank you for your help

Also i should say that my VM guest os does not have the line ethernet0.startConnected = "true" in vmx files

0 Kudos
Gabana
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

i think there is a problem with windows 7 64 bit as host. in windows 7 32 bit everything is ok

how is your idea ?

0 Kudos
Gabana
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

problem solved. my loopback adapter was active and when i disable it the problem solved

0 Kudos
FabioS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

I posted a problem very close to this some day ago, with no solution yet.

I'm working with host W7 x64 and guest W7x86.

Workstation is V9.0.1 but all machines was created since realease 6XX or 7XX

I checked my .vmw files and there is no KEY like "eternet0.startConnected=XXXXX".

I had for all virtual machines 3 ethernet card configured and for all those card there isn't this KEY.

What I have to do ...add this key for all the newwork card?

Thank

0 Kudos
FabioS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just to give a feedback ...

I tried to add this KEY but nothing is changed

0 Kudos