VMware Communities
dude444
Contributor
Contributor

VMware install & powered on newbie help?

Just installed vmware 7.1 on Win 7 & Win 2008 server but when I power on the Virtual machine it shows the mac address but than error msg comes up, err : operating system not found??

If there is pdf help document, any help appreciated?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello.

You will need to install an OS on the newly created virtual machine. Think of a new VM as a machine that you just assembled from parts, and not like a new PC you bought ready-to-use. The Guest Operating System Installation Guide is a great place to start, along with the Workstation User's Manual.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
dude444
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for reply, I manage to install a VM & installed Win XP with VM ware power tools but now what is the next step ?

I browsed to through win explorer file directory & saw a C: drive - it didn't show me any of my local hdd partitions?

If I want to connec to this VM win XP through another PC how do I do that? Regards.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Think of a Virtual Machine as just another Physical Machine would be on a LAN and act accordingly.

0 Kudos
dude444
Contributor
Contributor

Okay, here is the problem,

I have 3 PCs

-laptop Win 7 (VM installed with win xp)

-laptop Win XP (VM installed with VMware v6 installed guest OS Win XP)

-Desktop Server 2008 (VM installed VMware v7.1 with Win 2003 server & New team)

They are all connected through home network.

But it would be nice to have one of the laptops go to another location & access VMware v7.1 with Win 2003 server) ???

Any help appreciated ?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

But it would be nice to have one of the laptops go to another location & access VMware v7.1 with Win 2003 server) ???

I'll say it again... "Think of a Virtual Machine as just another Physical Machine would be on a LAN and act accordingly. " Which means you need to do whatever is appropriate for your needs and the type of connectivity the Host System has to the Internet and then when you're at a different physical location you can access the Virtual Machine via the Internet based on the method/technology you choose to use that fits your needs.

As an example I have clients that access their home computer from work and visa verse using LogMeIn as an example and there are other similar services available.

The bottom line is if your Virtual Machines have Internet/Network Connectivity then this is really not a VMware Workstation issue and it simple a matter of properly configuring your LAN and or a specific computer, physical or virtual, on your LAN to be able to be accessed remotely.

Some people will use Bridged Networking on the VM with a static IP Address and then place it in the DMZ on their Router and then use different methods to access it and you need to determine what your explicit and specific needs for access to that machines is and then implement what's necessary to accomplish it.

0 Kudos